Power of Diversity Lecture: The 'Blurred Lines' of Marvin Gaye's 'Here, My Dear': Music as a Communication Tort, Divorce Narrative and the Performance of Masculinity w/ Bryan Adamson

by Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Engagement

Program Diversity and Inclusion Topic: Discussion and Lecture

Wed, Nov 16, 2022

12 PM – 1:30 PM EST (GMT-5)

Add to Calendar

Private Location (sign in to display)

View Map
Registered

Registration

Details

Wednesday, November 16, 2022
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM
Tinkham Veale University Center, Ballroom C

Power of Diversity: Bryan Adamson
The 'Blurred Lines' of Marvin Gaye's 'Here, My Dear': Music as a Communication Tort, Divorce Narrative and the Performance of Masculinity

Professor Adamson is the David L. & Ann Brennan Professor of Law, and Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion. His areas of expertise are mass media and First Amendment law, and he has practiced extensively in re-entry advocacy, housing, mortgage lending and consumer protection.

In his lecture, Adamson will focus on Marvin Gaye's 1978 album Here, My Dear and its surrounding relational and legal layers—including Gaye's ex-wife's public threat to sue him. Adamson's talk explores the legal dimensions of that threat, and whether Here, My Dear conforms to or confounds frameworks which inform the performance of masculinity.

Hosted By

Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Engagement | Website | View More Events

Contact the organizers