Thwing CenterFrom its prominent position in the very center of Cleveland's University Circle, Thwing Center overlooks the campus of Case Western Reserve University and Euclid Avenue, once called "the most beautiful street in the world”. The facility was named for Charles Franklin Thwing "Prexy Thwing" to generations of alumni and students-who was President of Western Reserve University from 1890 until 1921.The design of Thwing Center incorporates two existing buildings, Thwing Hall and Hitchcock Hall, with a connecting structure, which included an atrium and bookstore (relocated). Built originally as the Excelsior Club for men in 1913, Thwing Hall was acquired by the University in 1931 for use as a library, and later as a gathering place for students. Hitchcock Hall, of similar vintage, was originally a residence, later the home of Cathedral Latin School and Ursuline College for Women, and in recent decades the location of a variety of University programs. It was named for Henry Lawrence Hitchcock, President of Western Reserve College from 1855 until 1871.The new Thwing Center provides improved and expanded space for programs, services, classes, and activities to meet the needs and interests of students, faculty, staff and other members of the University community.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thwing Center, the student union of Case Western Reserve University, is located in the heart of campus. The award-winning facility represents many years of proud service to Case Western Reserve University students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests.Thwing Center is named for Charles Franklin Thwing, a great advocate for students who served as President of Western Reserve University from 1890-1921. The building is a mixture of several architectural styles, including:• The historic, home-like Thwing West. Formerly known as Hitchcock Hall, this section of Thwing was built in 1897.• Thwing East, which features the historic Thwing Ballroom. Formerly known as Thwing Hall, this section was built in 1908.• A modern atrium, which adjoined the two buildings in 1980Student offices housed in Thwing Center include The Athenian (humor magazine), Case Reserve Review (literary magazine), Discussions (undergraduate research journal), Engineering and Science Review, The Observer (student newspaper), Retrospect (yearbook), Ignite Television, Media Board, and Commuter Student Association.In addition, several university departments are located in Thwing, including Thwing Center Administrative Office, Blackstone Launchpad, Housing, FedEx Office, the Laura and Alvin Siegel Lifelong Learning Center, the Office of Faculty Development, Residence Life, Student Affairs IT, and Student Conduct and Community Standards. The staff of Thwing Center strives to provide a comfortable and welcoming environment. The building is reserved by members of the Case community for meetings, conferences, dinners, lectures, weddings, and other special events.