Date: September 23, 2019
Subject: GSC Newsletter | HalloWeekends at Cedar Point, Paint & Munch

Hi First_Name,

HalloWeekends at Cedar Point

It is almost October, so that can only mean one thing: it is time to get spooky! The Graduate Student Council is helping all graduate students get into the Halloween spirit by offering discounted prices on tickets to HalloWeekends at Cedar Point.

HallowWeekends is Cedar Point's annual Halloween event which features rides, roller coasters, and sinister haunted attractions. Their selection of haunted mazes and outdoor scare zones will terrify you, along with spooktacular live shows and other surprises-all included with admission to the park. Fear is waiting for you at HalloWeekends!

Ticket sale starts Wednesday, September 18 at 10 am until Friday, September 27th at 11:59 pm. Available here: http://cglink.me/r555707

Tickets only valid October 5th only, one ticket per student, ALL ticket sales are FINAL. No refunds will be given.  

Ticket pick up will be at the GSC office in Tinkham Veale University Center 
Tuesday, October 1st from 8am-10am and 3pm-6pm
Wednesday, October 2nd from 8am-10am and 3pm-6 pm
Thursday, October 3rd 1:30pm until 5:30pm

**Drink wristband only valid for nonalcoholic drinks 

Paint & Munch!

Sponsored by the Director of Diversity and Inclusion of GSC. Come express yourself through art. Take a two-hour guided painting class and dinner will be provided! Visit http://cglink.me/r588132 for more detail.

2019 Homecoming Parade

Come join the fun! The CWRU Homecoming Parade begins at on Saturday, October 12, 2019, at 11:00 AM.  This is an awesome way to showcase your pride, your organization, and your excellence! We also are offering the opportunity to be in a contest judged by some our very own CWRU Leaders!
Prizes of $150 will be awarded to the most spirited, most creative, and best theme-oriented floats. 
• Most Spirited: Overall enthusiasm and CWRU pride
• Most Creative: Creative use of props and decorations
• Best Theme-Oriented: Fully encompasses the homecoming theme
You can register your organization for the Homecoming Parade and find more guidelines on the float at http://cglink.me/s19671. 

Stephanie Tubbs Jones 5K

This annual 5K race and 1-mile fun run takes place around the north side of campus in honor of Stephanie Tubbs Jones. All proceeds directly benefit a current CWRU undergraduate student. Event giveaways are included in the price for pre-registration. This event is made possible through support of Student Activities & Leadership and CWRU athletics. Registration starts at 8:00 am at the Village at 115 Starbucks and the race begins at 9 am. Pre-registration is $10, group registration (5 or more) is $8/person, and day-of registration is $15.

CLE RISING

Register here: https://tinyurl.com/ShareYourVoice-CWRU-Students 

Who: All CWRU graduate and undergraduate students
When: Wednesday, September 25th from 4:00-5:30pm
Where: Red Cat Room, Wade Commons
Food and beverages will be provided, and it is free to attend

CWRU students of ALL programs and backgrounds are invited to attend the CLE Rising “Share Your Voice” Student Session and share their most positive story about Cleveland. A new vision for Cleveland will be developed at the community-wide CLE Rising Summit in October. This September session is an opportunity for students to share stories ahead of time in case they cannot make the full two and a half-day Summit.

Led by an Appreciative Inquiry facilitator, students will answer four questions about their most positive Cleveland story and participate in a group activity to generate ideas that should be included in any future vision for Cleveland as a community. Tell us about a time people came together to do something wonderful, fun, or both in Cleveland! These positive stories will help us find Cleveland’s greatest strengths and give us a pathway to transform the quality of life in Cleveland for the better. 

Exploring Careers for the Common Good

Considering a career in nonprofits, public policy, or advocacy? Not sure what steps to take? Come to Exploring Careers for the Common Good panel discussion on Thursday, October 10 from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. in Clark Hall, Room 206 where CWRU alumni will share about their public service career paths. Dinner provided! Register online: http://cglink.me/r561154

CWRU alumni panelists include:
• Indigo Bishop, Choice Neighborhoods Administrator at Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority
• J.P. Graulty, Research Associate at CWRU Mandel School's Community Innovation Network
• Adam Rupe, Senior Director of Marketing and Communications at KIPP DC Public Schools

Event is co-sponsored by the Center for Civic Engagement & Learning, Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, and Post-Graduate Planning & Experiential Education.

Opportunities to Work in Canada after Graduation

CWRU students are invited to learn about opportunities to live and work in Canada after graduation at an event hosted by the Center for International Affairs. The presentation will feature representatives from the immigration section of the Consulate General of Canada who will discuss options to work in Canada and the process to become a Canadian via the Express Entry program. The event will be held Tuesday, October 1 at 4:00 pm in room 309 of the Rockefeller Building. All CWRU students are welcome to attend. For more information, visit the International Student Services (ISS) CampusGroups page: http://cglink.me/r561440

Civic Engagement Scholars Deadline TODAY

Take the service challenge and become a Civic Engagement Scholar through the Center for Civic Engagement & Learning! The Civic Engagement Scholars program is endorsed by President Snyder and designed to promote and recognize meaningful student involvement in the Cleveland community. Scholars commit to completing 50 community service hours, with at least 20 hours at one site during the academic year. To enhance their learning, Scholars participate in education and reflection about civic engagement, community issues, and social justice. Upon successful completion of the program, Scholars will be awarded a Certificate of Distinguished Service and attend a reception hosted by President Snyder. Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply. Applications are due by Monday, September 23: https://case.edu/studentlife/civicengagement/community-service/civic-engagement-scholars. 

Survey from Post Doctoral Association

Dear all,
The Benefit's and Women's Initiative Committees from the Postdoctoral Association are interested in enhancing your parental leave. In order to do this, we would like to get some numbers in order to present to the CWRU Faculty Senate data regarding parental leave. Please fill out this survey whether you took or did not take parental leave. It is only 4 questions and completely anonymous! Should take less than a minute to fill out! We would like to advocate for a change in policy for more parental leave! Your responses are CRITICAL for enabling change! We welcome all responses even if you did not take leave. Survey link here: https://forms.gle/FXkzrFSnMr5V4DRr5 Thank you! WISHED on Behalf of the Post Doctoral Association PLEASE TAKE THE ANONYMOUS SURVEY! ONLY 4 QUESTIONS!! https://forms.gle/FXkzrFSnMr5V4DRr5

Latinx Grad Mixer

October 1st @ 6pm in Tink Student Org Center. This Hispanic Heritage Month, we are sure to recognize our graduate students! Consider attending this FREE networking dinner to meet and connect with fellow Latinx graduate students, faculty, staff, and community members.

International Student Success Series: Navigating the Career Fair

Networking events can be great places to connect with people as you begin your career, but they can also be awkward and confusing. CWRU international students are invited to prepare for their job search by attending the Mocktail Hour and Networking Training event on Thursday, October 3. A professional etiquette instructor will provide students with hands-on training to help them successfully navigate networking events, followed by real-life practice with non-alcoholic drinks known as “mocktails” and passed hors d'oeuvres. 

This International Student Success Series event is hosted by the Center for International Affairs in partnership with the Office of Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education. It will take place at 4:00 pm in the Tomlinson Hall Lobby. 

Tickets are $10 and registration is required. Students can register on the International Student Services’ CampusGroups page: https://community.case.edu/ISS/rsvp_boot?id=495595

Sippin' with Spartie!

The next time you are in the Tink, drop by the Student Activities & Leadership Office for a FREE cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Quiet time or a visit with staff...YOUR CHOICE. The SA&L is in Suite 148, next to the Student Organization Center.

SA&L 2019 Fall Leadership Conference

OWN IT!  Own your leadership development and your experience as a student leader.  Registration closes on Oct. 1st.   Register at http://cglink.me/r476192  Breakfast and lunch provided

Dear fellow graduate students,

Hi! My name is Ashley Chavez-White and I am the GCS Director of Social and Special Programming. I am in the Graduate Entry program at Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. I am getting my Masters in Nursing. I love walking my dog on walks and puppy dates  (I have a Pomeranian-husky) and watching Bravo Reality TV. One unique fact about me is that I sky dove on my 25th birthday and it is my dream to do a solo jump by the time I am 30 years old.

EVENT

Paint and Munch!

Friday, September 27, 2019
5:00pm - 8:00pm
Gund Hall Room A62, Tinkham Veale University Center 11038 Bellflower Road, Room 150 , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

Come spend Friday night at a GSC sponsored event where you will be taken through a two-hour painting instruction class and talk about expressing ourselves through art. Dinner will be provided.

REGISTER

EVENT

HalloWeekends - Cedar Point

Saturday, October 5, 2019
11:00am - 11:00pm
Cedar Point: The Roller Coast Capital of the World, 1 Cedar Point Dr, Sandusky, OH 44870, United States

It is almost October, so that can only mean one thing: it is time to get spooky! The Graduate Student Council is helping all graduate students get into the Halloween spirit by offering discounted prices on tickets to HalloWeekends at Cedar Point.

HalloWeekends is Cedar Point's annual Halloween event which features rides, roller coasters, and sinister haunted attractions. Their selection of haunted mazes and outdoor scare zones will terrify you, along with spooktacular live shows and other surprises-all included with admission to the park. Fear is waiting for you at HalloWeekends!

Ticket sale starts Wednesday, September 18 at 10am until Friday, September 27th at 11:59 pm.

Tickets only valid October 5th only, one ticket per student, ALL ticket sales are FINAL. No refunds will be given.  

Ticket pick up will be at the GSC office in Tinkham Veale University Center 
Tuesday, October 1st from 8am-10am and 3pm-6pm
Wednesday, October 2nd from 8am-10am and 3pm-6 pm
Thursday, October 3rd 1:30pm - 2:30 pm and 3:30pm- 5:30pm

**Drink wristband only valid for nonalcoholic drinks 

**Transportation not included

REGISTER

EVENT

October General Assembly Meeting

Tuesday, October 8, 2019
5:15pm - 6:30pm
Toepfer Room-Adelbert Hall, Tinkham Veale University Center 11038 Bellflower Road, Room 150 , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States

Monthly GSC General Assembly meeting.

REGISTER

FORM

GSC Newsletter Request Form

Complete the Form