Date: April 5, 2023
Subject: ISS News, April 5, 2023: Holi, End of Semester Reminders, Graduate Student Appreciation Week, Tax Information, Therapy Dogs at KSL, Networking Event for Asian Students and Alumni, Cap-Gap I-20s, Legacy Week, Good Vibes, and More

ISS news header

April 5, 2023

in this issue:

1. End of Semester Reminders
  2. Support Resources
  3. Beware of Scams
  4. OPT & CPT Workshops
  5. USCIS Announces Premium Processing Service
  6. Tax Information for 2022 Filing Year
  7. Features
  8. Campus Happenings
  9. Other Opportunities
  10. Good Vibes Only

ISS staff members are here to support you! 

Please visit our website to learn about the advising options that are available and connect with us so that we can assist you.

keep calm the semester is about to end meme

End of Semester Reminders

If you have thoughts about traveling abroad during the break, be sure to ask yourself these questions:

Do I need to extend my I-20 or DS-2019? If you do, read more under the Frequently Asked Questions Section. Undergraduates, be sure to list your Dean in Undergraduate Studies (This is not Dean Wolcowitz.  If you don't know who your dean is, email ugstudies@case.edu to ask) on your request and graduate students, you should list your academic advisor.

Do I need to transfer my F-1 or J-1 SEVIS record? If you do, read more under the Frequently Asked Questions Section.

Do I need to get a new travel signature on my I-20 or DS-2019? If you do, you can read about that process and other factors related to travel and reentry for F-1 and J-1 students.

Also,

• be aware of all travel-related policies. Be sure that you are monitoring all requirements for entry to the United States and complying with university policies related to returning to campus.  **If you have any doubts or concerns about your ability to return to the United States by the start of the next semester, ISS recommends that you consider remaining in the United States and not traveling abroad.**
  • check the validity of the visa in your passport. Some US Embassies and Consulates still have limited services available and there could be significant delays in visa issuances. This delay could significantly affect your ability to return to the United States.
  • make sure your passport is valid at all times. Please prepare as early as possible if you need to apply for a new passport.  There are certain benefits for which F-1 students apply when they are in the United States and the agencies that oversee those benefits often require applicants to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months into the future.

Do you have more questions that you need help answering? Get in touch with ISS staff during advising hours or by email before you leave campus.

pink post it note with schedule change written on it.

Support Resources

The Dean of Students Office and the Case Western Reserve University community are committed to helping students overcome challenges during their academic careers.  A website has been developed to host a variety of resources and services, including information about various food pantries for students who are facing food insecurity. 

scam spelled out on keyboard

Beware of Scams

During the spring, particularly around tax time through university commencement dates, scams are very common. ISS wants to make sure that international students are aware of these scams and know how to protect themselves.  Visit our website for more information.

OPT and CPT workshop branding telling students that workshops are available online

OPT & CPT Workshops

ISS is offering Optional Practical Training (OPT) and CPT Workshops to go over in detail the application process, student responsibilities, and other important considerations.

Being well informed before applying for either authorization is extremely important and applying early is critical!

USCIS is publishing that it takes 3-5 months to process submitted OPT applications. Plan to complete a required OPT workshop as early as possible to be best prepared. Remember, you do not need to have a job offer to apply for OPT!

You do need to have a job offer before applying for CPT authorization and you are not eligible to begin your experience until you have proper authorization in place. It can take several days to become authorized.

Virtual workshops led by an advisor have been scheduled and information about required registration, attendance, and the application process can be found on our website under the OPT and CPT sections.

USCIS images

USCIS Announces Premium Processing for Certain F-1 Students and Online Filing for Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service

On March 6, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the expansion of premium processing for certain F-1 students.  ISS is including USCIS' message below. 

As ISS staff members interpret the information related to this new service, we understand the premium processing time frame to be 30 calendar days for the OPT application. If USCIS needs additional information related to your application it will take longer to process. 

Premium processing is expensive and we encourage you to visit USCIS' website to learn about standard processing times so that you can make an informed decision that best meets your personal needs.

As ISS learns more, we will continue to share that information with you.

USCIS' Message:
"Today, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the expansion of premium processing for certain F-1 students. For the first time, Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service, is also available to file online for students seeking optional practical training (OPT) or science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) OPT.

The premium processing expansion for certain F-1 students will occur in phases.

Beginning March 6, we will accept Form I-907 requests, filed via paper form or online, for certain F-1 students who have a pending Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if they are filing under one of these categories:

• (c)(3)(A) – Pre-Completion OPT;
  • (c)(3)(B) – Post-Completion OPT; and
  • (c)(3)(C) – 24-Month Extension of OPT for STEM students.

Beginning April 3, we will accept Form I-907 requests, filed via paper form or online, for F-1 students in the above categories when filed together with a Form I-765.

We will reject premium processing requests for a pending Form I-765 under these eligible categories if we receive the request before March 6. We will reject premium processing requests for a concurrently filed Form I-765 if we receive the request before April 3.

To file Form I-907 online, you must first create a USCIS online account, which provides a convenient and secure method to submit forms, pay fees, and track the status of any pending USCIS immigration request throughout the adjudication process. There is no cost to set up a USCIS online account, which offers a variety of features, including the ability to communicate with USCIS through a secure inbox and respond to Requests for Evidence online. If you have previously filed a USCIS form online, you may use your existing USCIS online account.

Applicants who previously filed a paper Form I-765 and wish to file Form I-907 online to request premium processing should reference the USCIS Account Access Notice they received for the Online Access Code and details on how to link their paper-filed cases to their online account, or they will not be able to file Form I-907 online and will need file a paper Form I-907 with the Chicago lockbox.

Only certain F-1 students seeking OPT or STEM OPT extensions may file Form I-907 online at this time. Applicants who file a paper Form I-907, or any other USCIS form, can still create an online account to track the status of their form throughout the adjudication process, even if they did not file the form online. To find more information about which forms are available for online filing, visit our Forms Available to File Online page.

USCIS is committed to making technology and operational improvements to reduce processing times. As previously announced, we are expanding premium processing to additional form types as part of our efforts to increase efficiency and reduce burdens to the overall immigration system.

As we implement the expansion of premium processing in a phased approach, we will continue working toward premium processing availability of Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. We anticipate expanding premium processing for certain students and exchange visitors with pending Form I-539 applications in May and certain students and exchange visitors who are filing initial Form I-539 applications in June.

The agency will adhere to the legislative requirement that the expansion of premium processing [does] not result in an increase in processing times for immigration benefit requests not designated for premium processing or an increase in regular processing of immigration benefit requests so designated.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on TwitterInstagramYouTubeFacebook, and LinkedIn."

Tax Information for 2022 Filing Year

Tax Deadline in April: Forms & Sprintax Availablity

Sprintax is a tax-return-preparation software program designed primarily for international students and other educational visa holders. It can help you prepare your U.S. federal income tax return, which you are legally required to file to the Internal Revenue Service.  ISS has arranged free access to Sprintax for your federal tax filing needs.

You may access Sprintax and begin preparing your tax return by following these steps:

1. Register and follow the simple instructions
  2. Complete the online questionnaire
  3. Enter Case Western Reserve University’s unique code. This code was sent to you via email on February 7.
  4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return

If Sprintax determines that you are required to file state taxes, you will have the opportunity to prepare those state taxes. You are not required to use Sprintax to file state taxes but, remember, it is your responsibility to comply with the law and properly file all taxes.

If by now, you haven't received your W-2 from CWRU, contact Payroll at payroll@case.edu. If you were authorized to work for another employer, you should contact their payroll department.

For more information regarding the 1098-T, please visit Financial Services website to download the Nonresident Alien 1098-T Request Form.

1042-S forms will be prepared by mid-March and sent to students by Payroll. Please contact Payroll if you have questions about the issuance of your 1042-S.

For more information, visit our Information on Filing Taxes page and if you have any questions, the Sprintax team will be happy to help via their 24/7 live chat function or email hello@sprintax.com. ISS staff members cannot advise you on your questions, which is why we partner with the experts at Sprintax.

Sprintax logo

Sprintax Offers Tax Webinars to Prepare for Tax Filing Season 2022

ISS partners with the tax experts at Sprintax who offer tax filing services to international students that are considered non-resident aliens for tax purposes. The Sprintax team will be hosting a series of free open tax webinars to provide helpful information about non-resident tax filing obligations.

You can find the details and registration links below for each:

The informational webinars will cover the same topics on each occasion:

• An overview of tax for nonresident students and scholars
  • Who must file a 2021 US tax return
  • What income forms students may receive
  • Forms that need to be completed and sent to the IRS
  • Terms like FICA, ITIN, and Form 1098-T
  • What happens if students don’t file or misfile
  • State tax returns
  • Sprintax overview
ASIA tax prep flyer

Features

Holi Flyer
EA summer abroad transfer credit info

Campus Happenings

gsaw information

Graduate Student Appreciation Week
 April 3 - 7

Graduate Student Appreciation Week (GSAW) was created in 1993 by the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students to support and appreciate graduate and professional students and to emphasize the contributions, impact, and value they have on college campuses throughout the United States.

The most up-to-date information about the Office of Graduate Student Life's efforts to celebrate CSAW at CWRU can be found on Campus Groups

GSAW flyer for CIA

EVENT

EGGSAW Happy Hour

Friday, April 7
1:00pm - 1:00pm
Private Location (sign in to display)
Link
Add to Google Cal,Outlook,Yahoo,iCal

Engineering Graduate Government is sponsoring this month's happy hour!

RSVP

EVENT

Paint and Sip

Friday, April 7
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Link

Network with others while creating a beautiful canvas painting under instructions from a professional, or you can just be free spirited and paint away

RSVP

EVENT

GSAW Ball

Saturday, April 8
7:00pm - 11:00pm
Link

Graduate Student Appreciation Week grand finale

RSVP
timely care logo

University Health & Counseling Services Offers Timely Care and a Variety of Other Wellness Programs to Consider

Thursday, April 6
Start End   Event         Location
1:00pm 2:00pm BIPOC Support Space Online Event
Monday, April 10
3:00pm 4:00pm BIPOC Support Space Private Location (register to display)
6:00pm 7:30pm I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine. Private Location (sign in to display)
Thursday, April 13
1:00pm 2:00pm BIPOC Support Space Online Event
1:00pm 2:00pm Balanced Nutrition For All Online Event
Friday, April 14
12:00pm 1:00pm T.H.I.N.K. Suicide Prevention Training (Virtual) Online Event
Monday, April 17
3:00pm 4:00pm BIPOC Support Space Private Location (register to display)
6:00pm 7:30pm I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine. Private Location (sign in to display)

EVENT

Exploring queer-trans intimacy, disability aesthetics, and community care in JC Pankratz’s Seahorse. A Talk. A Performance. A Gathering.

Tuesday, April 4
4:00pm - 5:00pm
Kelvin Smith Library, Dampeer Room (2nd Floor), 11055 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Link

In this director’s talk, CWRU Humanities in Leadership Learning Series postdoctoral scholar Nicolas Shannon Savard will describe how feminist performance practice, queer theory, disability aesthetics and principles of community-engaged artmaking informed their approach to the design and the collaborative process. The talk will offer behind-the-scenes insight into how the cast and crew of Seahorse has worked to bring the story to life in a way that prioritizes inclusion, collaboration, community care, and the well-being of both the artists and audience.

Discussion and light refreshments to follow.

This event is sponsored by the CWRU Humanities in Leadership Learning Series and Kelvin Smith Library and is associated with the performances of Seahorse at the Maelstrom theatre on April 7 and 8, 2023.

Can't make it in person? The livestream can be viewed at the following link (www.case.edu/livestream/s2) on Tuesday, April 4 from 4 to 5 p.m.

RSVP

EVENT

Game Night at KSL

Wednesday, April 5
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Kelvin Smith Library, Freedman Center, 1st Floor, 11055 Euclid Ave , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Link

Put away laptops and phones and play old fashioned board games with friends. Refreshments will be provided to keep you fueled and competitive through the night.

A full list of games offered by KSL can be found here: https://researchguides.case.edu/KSLGameNight

RSVP

EVENT

Inaugural Asian Student & Alumni Networking Event

Saturday, April 8
11:30am - 1:00pm
Link

Come meet various Asian alumni and other Asian students and network about: Asians in the workforce, work-life balance, and breakout sessions with individual alum.

RSVP
lgbt center flyer

CWRU Pride Ohio Leadership Award

The deadline to apply for the CWRU Pride Ohio Leadership Award has been extended to April 9 at 11:59PM! 

The purpose of the CWRU Pride LGBT Ohio Leadership Award is to provide recognition or enabling financial assistance to outstanding undergraduate or graduate students who are working to make impactful actions and advancement of the mission of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community at Case Western Reserve University, the Cleveland community, or nationally through scholarship, research, or leadership activities.

Qualifications
Applicants qualifying for this award shall be undergraduate or graduate students that

1) Have demonstrated or proposed an activity that will advance the LGBT community at Case Western Reserve University through leadership, experience, or research made possible by the scholarship, and are

2) Enrolled or admitted to Case Western Reserve University as an undergraduate or graduate student, and are

3) In good academic standing with the university.

Apply Here: https://case.edu/lgbt/scholarships-awards/cwru-pride-lgbt-ohio-leadership-award

EVENT

Therapy Dogs at KSL!

Monday, April 10
1:30pm - 3:30pm
Link

Therapy Dogs will be at Kelvin Smith Library on Monday, April 10 from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. Stay for as long or as little as you like!

RSVP
legacy week logo

Celebrate Legacy Week, April 24 - 29

Legacy Week was established in 2017, to observe and showcase the history of Case Western Reserve University's momentous history. During this week various departments, offices, student organizations, staff and faculty members, and individual students will host various programs and events to bring to light the unique history of CWRU.

To learn more about Legacy Week 2023 and planned events, visit Student Activities and Leadership's Campus Traditions website.

hudson relay flyer
Envision Weekend Student Leader Recruitment Graphic

Other Opportunities

sociology 101 flyer

SOCI 101: Intro to Sociology

The Department of Sociology is offering SOCI 101 Intro to Sociology this summer. It is a 4 week class, 3 times a week, 3 credit hours, no prerequisites required.

engl 147

Good Vibes Only

In this section, we are including some things that we hope will make you laugh and smile, help you relax, be entertaining, give you something to do, etc.

This is a good vibes only section and we're sending them out to you!

Lion King cast sings for Tiny Desk

Tiny Desk Concert- The Lion King

If you would like to promote your event or opportunity through ISSNews, please make a complete submission (including flyers, images, details, etc.) for consideration by noon on Monday to international@case.edu. ISS cannot guarantee that all submissions will appear in the newsletter, as space is limited, but staff will review all timely submissions fotion.