Date: October 10, 2023
Subject: GSC Newsletter

Dear Graduate Student,

You will be receiving this newsletter every week on Tuesday (except when there is a university holiday on that Tuesday). If you would like something to be included in our newsletter, please submit the request using the form at the bottom of this newsletter.

Visit the GSC website (gsc.case.edu) for meeting minutes of the GSC General Assembly meetings, GSC 101 information for GSC-sponsored clubs, and general information about GSC.
Follow us on Instagram: cwrugsc

Cedar Point HalloWeekend

What: Buy your tickets for Cedar Point HalloWeekends. On HalloWeekends, you can enjoy not-so-scary fall activities, your favorite rides and attractions, live entertainment and more, OR immerse yourself in terrifying mazes, spine-tingling scare zones, and thrilling shows when the sun goes down.
When: Saturday, October 21, 2023.
Who: all graduate students
How: Buy tickets through our campusgroups event, and you will receive digital (not printed) tickets in your email. More details will be sent to emails of registered attendees.
How much: Tickets will be sold for $30. *Tickets for Saturdays on the Cedar Point website are $79.99.
When to buy tickets: Ticket sales go live on Thursday October 12, 8am.

**No Transportation will be provided, and the ticket refund deadline is October 18. **
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2240503

Approaching the Deadline for New Organization Recognition

Just a friendly reminder that the deadline to register new organizations this semester is October 13th at 11:59 p.m. The cycle for new applications will not reopen until after GSC 102 in the spring so get your applications in now if you want to be recognized this semester!
Here is a link to the GSC website about the registration process.

OMA Eldred Trivia

Join us at Sears 409 from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM for an immersive cultural experience at the newly reopened Eldred Hall. Organized by the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA), the evening promises curated trivia, delicious bites, and a chance to win spectacular prizes. Don't miss this blend of history, culture, and fun!
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2153976

Protest the lack of support for East Palestine residents

Looking for volunteers to protest against the lack of financial support the residents of East Palestine are receiving from the Government. Please contact Patty Zamora (patty.zamora@case.edu) if you're interested in making a difference. We need the entire country to know Ohioans stand up for each other in times of need. Once enough volunteers have signed up, we will advertise a date and time. It will most likely be on a Saturday.

Reflections

Case Western Reserve University’s Department of Dance presents Reflections, an evening of exciting new and revisited works, featuring Cave Of The Heart by Martha Graham, Into the Wind, a new duet by department chair Karen Potter, as well as the return of Gary Galbraith’s technology-infused In Another Place and Time and Janice Rosario’s Brink. Reflections will be performed on November 10, 11, 16-18 at 7:30pm and November 12th at 2:30pm at Mather Dance Center, 11040 Bellflower Road, on the Case Western Reserve campus in University Circle.

Early Career Research, Visibility, and Publishing Series

Open to all Ph.D. students, postdocs, and everybody else interested in publishing, this series is designed to provide insights into successfully navigating the publication process. Join library experts, campus guest speakers, and several journal editors to learn about the best practices for planning research, finding and managing resources, digital tools for analysis, leveraging your author rights, open science benefits and expectations, and building your scholarly brand. The series consists of one or more hybrid sessions per month. To attend the sessions of interest, registration is required. Sessions will be recorded and shared with attendees. Find all sessions at bit.ly/publishingseriesKSL
Next events:
Digital Scholarship at KSL, Tue, Nov 7, 2023, 1-2pm
Efficient Research: Reference Management and Organizing Sources, Wed, Nov 8, 2023, 4-5pm 

Case Med Pride: Paying Back the T with Dr. Lady J

Case Med Pride is holding an event during CWRU SOM's Diversity Week with Dr. Lady J, the first drag queen with a dissertation on drag (and CWRU PhD Alum)! She will be giving the talk in drag and will incorporate drag history throughout the talk. The talk is titled, "Paying Back the T: Holding the LGBTQ+ and Medical Communities Accountable for Unfulfilled Promises." She will be talking about trans belonging and community building, focusing on the ways that agreements made by the LGBTQ+ community and the medical community with the trans community need to be truly fulfilled, some of the ways those efforts are failing, and how folks in those spaces can change this for the better. Join us on Wednesday, October 18th Noon to 1:30p, HEC Room TBD. Lunch will be provided! RSVP Required: https://forms.gle/9gJTzkhHpxX88Fe88

CBTA 2023 Professional Development Conference

In collaboration with the CWRU School of Medicine Graduate Education Office, the Lerner Trainee Association, BME Graduate Student Association, and Association of Biomedical and Chemical Engineers (CSU) are hosting a conference focused on providing resources for trainees to develop themselves for their future careers. This multi-day event consists of panels of multidisciplinary experts, hands-on workshops with experts in resumes, CVs and LinkedIn, sessions on topics ranging from scientific writing to mentor/mentee communication, and more. Following the first two days of training, there will be a career networking session and an additional career focused panel on November 10th. This is an opportunity to meet and network with companies that are interested in hiring graduate students and postdocs. All sessions will be held in the Tinkham Veale University Center Kelvin & Eleanor Smith Foundation Grand Ballrooms A, B, C. The Conference will consist of 2 days of training and 1 day of networking: Thursday, October 19th 9-5pm - Professional Development Training Sessions Friday, October 20th 9-4pm - Personal Development Training Sessions Friday, November 10th 11-5pm - Career Networking Sessions This event is open to all trainees interested in furthering professional development, regardless of discipline. Join us for a one-stop shop for everything trainee professional, personal, and career development!
https://community.case.edu/BMEGSA/rsvp_boot?id=2210249

Squat Competition

For this semester's mock single-lift event, CWRU Lifts will be hosting a squat competition! Whether you're a seasoned lifter or new to the squat game, this competition welcomes all fitness enthusiasts. Snacks, coffee, goodie bags, and an after-party will be provided! The event will occur on Saturday, November 11, 11am-6pm, at Veale Athletic Center.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2204161

CWRU Flu Vaccine Clinic

Beginning Wednesday (September 27, 2023), there will be a series of free flu vaccine clinics at the Tinkham Veale University Center (TVUC). University ID must be shown. Appointments or registration are not required. More info here: https://cglink.me/2cS/r2139339

If none of the TVUC times work for you, there will also be clinics at the Health Education Campus (HEC):

Seeking graduate students interested in becoming advisors and panel members for the Office of Equity

The Office of Equity, which is the Office of the Title IX Coordinator, and which supports students and employees experiencing discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and gender-based violence, is seeking to train interested undergraduate and graduate students to serve as Advisors and Panel Members. You can read more about these roles here. If interested, please complete the interest form here. Thank you.

University spirit committee

The Office of Student Activities & Leadership is revamping the University Spirit Committee and just received the support of the interim VP of Student Affairs Peter Whiting.

We believe this committee is important as it aims to promote school spirit, engagement in the community, and an overall sense of pride in CWRU. They are looking for individuals who are passionate about spreading Spartan spirit and increasing engagement. The committee will meet every other Friday from 10-11am on Zoom. The next meeting is 10/13.

Contact Heather Willis if you are interested at hxw791@case.edu

Register to Vote! Registration closes today!

The Graduate Student Council (GSC) would like to first congratulate everyone on finishing their first month of classes. As we start a new academic year, it is important to remember the importance of being aware of current issues and being part of major decisions. It is voting season in Ohio and some significant issues are being addressed. GSC encourages everyone, regardless of political views, to consider voting this season, as your voice matters on these issues.  
Here are some important dates to keep in mind if you are interested in participating in the Ohio General Elections this season;

Timeline for Registering to Vote:
Opens: NOW
Closes: October 10th, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.  
Early In-Person Voting:
Opens: October 11th, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Closes: November 5th, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.  
Absentee Voting By Mail:
Opens: October 11th, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Closes: November 6th, 2023 (Postmark Deadline)  
Election Day Voting:
Opens: November 7th, 2023 at 6:30 a.m.
Closes: November 7th, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.  

If you want to register to vote in Ohio, follow this link here: Register to Vote  
A calendar of important dates with more information can be found here: Calendar Link  
Information about how absentee voting works can be found here: Absentee Voting  
More information about what Ohio issues will be voted on can be found here: Statewide Issues  
If you are planning on registering and voting in another state, here is a link to find more information about your state’s election process: https://www.vote.org

Field Trip to Community Garden

Join us for a 'Field Trip to the CWRU Community Garden' and dive into the heart of sustainable farming! Not only will you get to harvest fresh produce to take home for free, but you'll also gain insightful knowledge about the importance and functioning of community gardens. Open to all CWRU undergraduates and graduate students - come and be a part of this green journey! Note: We will be walking to the community garden, it's about a 15-minute walk from OMA.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2224078

Future Faculty Friday (Graduate students and post-docs ONLY): Teaching and Assessing Large Classes

UCITE is pleased to announce our Future Faculty Friday sessions, aimed solely at graduates and postdocs who are considering a career in academia, and who would like some grounding in the teaching and learning element of this career. For the remainder of the semester, we will be holding journal club-style meetings, at which participants discuss an article on a pre-determined topic. On Friday, October 13, from 11:40am - 12:30pm, please join us in the Herrick Room of the Allen Memorial Medical Library as we discuss large class teaching, based on an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education February 24, 2022, entitled 'Teaching a Sea of Students'. A link to the article will be posted on UCITE's Campus Group's page.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2211888

Domestic Violence Awareness Month Calendar

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and the CWRU Flora Stone Mather Center for Women has many education and advocacy-based events planned. Activities will be taking place all month long, so check out the calendar of events featured here, and RSVP on the Mather Center's Campus Groups page for more information on each event!
https://community.case.edu/events_list

Mentoring & Teaching Workshop

Join the grad student John S. Diekhoff awards committee & faculty winners and nominees to learn skills, gain resources, and participate in discussions about excellence in graduate mentoring and teaching. This workshop is geared for graduate students, postdocs, and faculty -- or anyone interested in this topic! We are offering 2 workshops - content will be the same, but some of the faculty and student participants will be different, so discussions may be different at each. Feel free to participate in one or both. FREE LUNCH provided at both workshops!

TODAY, Tuesday, October 10 Tinkham Veale University, Ballroom A
12:30 Lunch and Networking
1:00–2:15 Workshop
Lunch: Pasta bar, grilled vegetables, garlic bread. Vegan and gluten-free options.

Wednesday, October 11 Nord Hall, Room 356
12:15 Lunch and Networking
12:45–2:00 Workshop
Lunch: Assorted sandwiches, chips, cookies. Vegan and gluten-free options.

Graduate Student Study Carrel Lottery @ KSL

Case Western Reserve University graduate students are encouraged to apply for the Kelvin Smith Library study carrel lottery. The study carrels offer a space to work quietly and conduct research. Each carrel includes two locking upper bins to store materials during the academic year. Apply for a carrel at . Please note that the link will go live at midnight on Monday, October 2, and close at midnight on Friday, October 13th. The deadline to apply for the carrel lottery is Fri, 10/13. Those selected will be notified after the deadline. Contact Library Administration at 216.368.2992 or ksladministration@case.edu with any questions or for more information.

Meet the GSC Executive Board

Each week, we will introduce two to four GSC Executive Board members. Today, we present the President and the Director of Professional Development.

Francesca Veres (she/her)
President
School of Law
Juris Doctor

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?
I joined the executive board for a few reasons. First, last year I was a member of the Student Bar Association, which is the School of Law’s student government organization. I was Secretary, which meant I took a lot of notes and spent a lot of time listening. Provost Vinson came to speak to us one day, and I listened to him outline his plans to facilitate multidisciplinary excellence and synergy between the University and the greater Cleveland community. I thought becoming President would be the best role to steer the graduate student into alignment with those goals, which I think addresses some of the natural inhibitions towards cross-disciplinary collaborations and networking that exist when dealing with multiple, heterogeneous professional and graduate programs.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?
I hope to help bring about the vision Provost Vinson outlined with he spoke to the SBA last year. I’d rather not paraphrase so here are the points he outlined in February as I wrote them down then: 
INTERDISCIPLINARY. 
•    Accentuating ability to interdisciplinary work (law and medicine, law and management for example)
•    We want to be the type of place where it’s easy to do that type of work
•    Also looking for opportunities for classes to be interdisciplinary in nature
INTERFACE OF HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY
•    We’re also strong in other areas despite being known for more STEM 
•    “Human Tech” has been a key idea to emerge from the plan, that is seeking opportunities that find themselves at the intersection of humanity and technology (the ethics of AI, neural interfacing, law and technology, etc.)
GREATER SOCIAL IMPACT
•    Our plan calls for us to elevate our game to maximize our university’s social impact
•    An example is looking for more clinical opportunities to extend our connections and ability to impact the community
SHAPING THE AGORA
•    Historically schools don’t cross-pollinate and converse
•    Need to do more to build bridges between disciplines/communities in the school
•    Metaphor – how much “greek impact” this place has → “The Agora” – quintessential place where community happens (debate, commerce, democracy) calling us to be better as a community and to treat ourselves and each other better.

What are you looking forward to this academic year?
Working for the benefit of graduate students and helping them to develop professional and academic relationships that will benefit them moving forward. I’d also like to work with the GSC board to streamline certain processes and increase the efficiency of the board in communicating in a timely manner with student organizations and representatives. I look forward to building a stronger relationship between the Graduate Student Council and the respective schools we come from, as well as the relationships between the schools themselves.

How can someone get involved in GSC? (President only question)
Ask questions! I may not have the best answer, but I will do my best to get one for you.  Communication is key. I can’t know what I don’t know and will readily admit that I don’t know much (unless we’re talking about old video games.) But, I like to think I can find an answer. 

Sylvia Hernandez (she/her)
Director of Professional Development
Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
Masters of Social Work, Adult Mental Health

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?
As a veteran, I’ve had a lot of opportunities to express leadership and develop skills that work toward a mission and I have found myself drawn to those kinds of positions since then. Civilian life and undergrad didn’t provide many opportunities I could take because I was moving around a lot and had family responsibilities. I find that I have a surprising amount of free time to work toward things that I enjoy or that I want to do now that I am in grad school. No doubt in part due to the core value of empowerment we focus so much on in the Mandel School.

I signed up to make a case for myself at the end of last year and almost backed out because of self-doubt. I was about to back out completely but my friend Deja said she thought I would do great and pointed out some skills I didn’t think others saw in me. I am very grateful to the students who took a chance and voted me into this office. I look forward to finding opportunities to help the grad student community.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?
I would like to host some PD events that will contribute to the learning students are doing in their programs, and in a way that allows them to gain perspectives from other fields as well. I am working on a series of watch parties for Supreme Court hearings that are relevant to various industries. We will also have a photo-opportunity event in the Spring term for students to take selfies in different backgrounds for their professional profiles. I also am testing the feasibility of an interdepartmental mock trial but that is very tentative at this point.

In general, I’m most interested in finding ways to combine networking opportunities that allow graduate and professional students to practice critical thinking and communication styles that will help in our future work. These are skills that are not only beneficial to professional mobility but also to communicating with clients and communities.

What are you looking forward to this academic year?
This year I am looking forward to the growth I will be allowed to make in my own professional development as I search for ways to contribute to the student body. I’m also very excited about my internship with Cleveland Clinic at Marymount Hospital and continuing the work I started last year of learning how to serve people from a variety of backgrounds with mental health issues.

Cedar Point HalloWeekend Logo

EVENT

Cedar Point HalloWeekend

Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 8:00am
to Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 11:00pm
Private Location (sign in to display)
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

EXTRA: Following requests from graduate students, we have negotiated with Cedar Point to sell our remaining tickets from HalloWeekends to Saturday, October 28, instead of simply returning them. We have 38 tickets available for that date and since this is the last HalloWeekend weekend, this will be our last offer as well!
When to buy tickets for October 28: Ticket sales go live on Wednesday, October 25, 8am and close on Saturday, October 28, 9am.
IMPORTANT: tickets are only valid for October 28, 2023. The park is open 11am-midnight.
Tickets will be emailed by Friday evening (October 27).

-----
The Graduate Student Council is happy to present Cedar Point HalloWeekend!
Online tickets for HalloWeekends on Saturdays cost around $79.99, but through GSC, you can get your ticket for $30! Join other graduate students on October 21 2023 for a day of fun and thrill! Ticket sales will open on October 12, 8am.

More information about HalloWeekends: Get your friends and family together and enjoy not-so-scary fall activities, your favorite rides and attractions, live entertainment and more, OR immerse yourself in terrifying mazes, spine-tingling scare zones and thrilling shows when the sun goes down. HalloWeekends runs on select days and nights, September 14 – October 29. Go to https://www.cedarpoint.com/events/halloweekends for more!

No Transportation will be provided.
**The refund deadline for tickets is October 18. **
IMPORTANT: tickets are only valid for October 21, 2023.

REGISTER

FORM

GSC Newsletter Request Form 2023-2024

Complete the Form