Date: September 19, 2023
Subject: GSC Newsletter

Dear Graduate Student,

You will be receiving this newsletter every week on Tuesday (except when there is a university holiday on that Tuesday). If you would like something to be included in our newsletter, please submit the request using the form at the bottom of this newsletter.

Visit the GSC website (gsc.case.edu) for meeting minutes of the GSC General Assembly meetings, GSC 101 information for GSC-sponsored clubs, and general information about GSC.
Follow us on Instagram: cwru_gsc

October GSC General Assembly (GA) meeting

Join the Graduate Student Council at our General Assembly meeting Wednesday (Oct. 4) to discuss what we've been up to! All graduate and professional students are welcome to attend. Free food will be provided.

Please RSVP either in person or virtually so we have enough food and drink for all students coming in person. The meetings occur every first Wednesday of the month and are from 5:30-6:30 pm in Toepfer Room, Adelbert Hall.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2193950

Professional Development Decisions Committee

Each year students are given the opportunity to apply for up to $300 toward personally identified professional development needs. The Office of Professional Development is seeking 5 students to help determine which of these applications should be approved as well as for ideas for interdisciplinary events. If you would like to ensure that your school gets represented in these events or just want a way to contribute to the student body please reach out to Sylvia Hernandez (ssh126@case.edu) by Monday, September 25. Meetings will take place about three times per semester and food will be provided.

Advocacy and Diversity Committee: Senate Committee Interest

The Co-Vice Presidents of GSC’s Advocacy and Diversity are seeking graduate students interested in participating in one or more faculty senate committees. By being part of a senate committee, you will have the opportunity to meet faculty members from different Schools at CWRU and work on projects/initiatives that will have an impact on the greater CWRU community.

Here are the following senate committees with positions open for graduate students:

Research (Open Positions: 3)
Information and Technology (Open Positions: 1)
University Libraries (Open Positions: 1)
Campus Planning and Facilities (Open Positions: 1)
Minority Affairs (Open Positions: 1)
Ad Hoc Media Protection Policy (Open Positions: 1)

If interested in being part of one or more of the committees, please use the following Google Form to indicate what committee(s) you would like to be a part of and why: https://forms.gle/J8EMwMNq5o4MbdweA

The Google Form will be open as long as the positions are open.

If you have any questions, please contact Thomas Lipker at TJL111@case.edu

Tea Tasting with the Tea & Chocolate Club

We are hosting a tea tasting, where you will have the opportunity to sample a variety of teas from around the world (e.g., white, green, oolong, and black). We hope this will be a great opportunity for you to meet and connect with other graduate students in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.

What:    Tea tasting event for CWRU graduate students. We will taste a wide selection of teas.
Where:  Peter B. Lewis (PBL) Building Room 220, 11119 Bellflower Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106
When:   Tuesday, September 26, 5-6:30pm
Who:     All CWRU graduate and professional students

Please sign up for the event on Campus Groups: https://cglink.me/2cS/r2199387

Trick or Treat on Fleet

The event is going to be happening on Fleet Street in the Slavic Village on October 28th or 29th. It is a community-wide trick-or-treat event sponsored by the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center. Vendors are able to set up tables for free as long as they provide candy for the children trick-or-treating. 

Recently, the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences visited the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center and Slavic Village to learn more about creating change at a community level. At this visit, they learned about events that are being put on for members of the community.   On October 28th or 29th, the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center will be hosting an event called Trick or Treat on Fleet. This event allows vendors to set up a tent at no cost, as long as they have candy to give out to the kids trick-or-treating. This is an event that has happened in the Slavic Village as a part of their efforts to revitalize the community and engage with neighbors. Mandel students were invited to host a table and were encouraged to reach out to other organizations who might have an interest in helping with this event.   The Southeast Cleveland Resource Center is located at 52111 Fleet Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44105. Fleet Street will be shut down during this event, at which over 2000 community members are expected. If you are interested in participating or have any questions, you can contact Housing Director Meeka Compton at tcompton1120@gmail.com, t.compton@scresourcecenter.org, or 216-266-0278.

Meet the GSC Executive Board

Each week, we will introduce two to four GSC Executive Board members. Today we are presenting the three Co-Directors of Advocacy & Diversity. They have multiple opportunities for graduate and professional students to join committees in this newsletter. For information about all GSC Executive Board members, please visit our website.

Harley Rubin (he/him or they/them)
Co-Director of Advocacy & Diversity
Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
Master of Social Work

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?

I joined the GSC Executive Board because I am passionate about diversity, advocacy, and being engaged in my community. Diversity & advocacy are integral to my career in social work, and I thought this would be a great opportunity to develop my skills in community work and leadership in that area, while becoming more socially involved with the graduate student community at the same time.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?

I hope to make a positive impact in the student experience and provide deliberate representation of LGBTQ+ CWRU grad students. I’m excited to be a part of committees on diversity & advocacy questions and issues at CWRU, like the aftermath of the recent Supreme Court case about affirmative action. Student voices are really needed in administrative conversations. I’m also hoping to create at least one large diversity-based event for graduate students this year, which is so exciting. 

What are you looking forward to this academic year?    

I’m looking forward to becoming more involved than I was last year, learning a ton through my classes and positions like this one, and finishing my MSW degree next May!

Sophie Hall (she/her)
Weatherhead School of Management
MPOD, Masters of Science in Positive Organizational Development

I joined the GSC board last year after the role of Director of Diversity was opened. I was excited to serve as a champion for equitable, and inclusive practice across the graduate student community. After that first term, I am delighted to serve in a second term as a Co-Director of Advocacy and Diversity in partnership with my colleagues Harley and Thomas. This partnership will enable us to contribute our unique and diverse skills to better the experience of each Case Western Reserve Graduate student.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?

I hope that I can leverage my skills in building sustainable change programs to support the GSC in developing meaningful programs for graduate students now and in the future. As my peer, Harley mentions, we are excited at the prospect of bringing diversity-based events to campus this year. These events are particularly exciting on our journey to ensure that every student feels that their voices matter and are heard. Most importantly, I hope to make strides on a journey to ensure that every student feels like Case Western Reserve is somewhere that they can belong.

I am looking forward to both my academic pursuits here at Case Western Reserve, as well as to devote time to making the graduate student experience a more inclusive and meaningful one for the graduates of tomorrow.

Thomas Lipker (he/him)
School of Law
Juris Doctor and Masters in Compliance and Risk Management

I was a GSC Representative for the School of Law last year and I enjoyed the opportunities to connect with fellow graduate students from across campus. In connecting with my peers, I saw the positive impact GSC Executive Board and its representatives had on the graduate community. In wanting to contribute to the building of relationships between schools of discipline, I ran for my position to advocate and promote diversity for the graduate student body at CWRU.

I want to develop events and programs for graduate students to connect with more of the lesser known on-campus resources. A specific project I am excited to work on is developing a form for students to inform the Graduate Student Council about concerns or desired changes on campus.

I look forward to developing more connections with fellow graduate students and assisting students in their academic pursuits.

EVENT

October GA

Wednesday, October 4, 2023
5:30pm - 6:30pm
Toepfer Room-Adelbert Hall, Tinkham Veale University Center 11038 Bellflower Road, Room 150 , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

Join the Graduate Student Council at our General Assembly meeting to discuss what we've been up to! All graduate students are welcome to attend. Free food will be provided.
Please RSVP either in person or virtually so we have enough food and drink for all students coming in person.

REGISTER

FORM

GSC Newsletter Request Form 2023-2024

Complete the Form