Date: March 29
Subject: Launching into April with a Loaded [OMA Newsletter]

Hi First_Name,

OMA Newsletter

For the final week of Women’s History Month, I will focus on a topic that many may not know very much about. World War II was the biggest war in human history with the highest death toll. In history class, we learn about the hundreds of thousands of men who fought and suffered during the war to defend the United States. They deserve to be respected and honored for their service. But what about the women throughout this period? Did they play a role in the war? In this article, you’ll learn a bit more about some of America’s unsung female heroes.

During the WWII, the U.S. was eager to build up its defense. There was very high demand to create more tanks, trucks, planes, guns, and ammunition. Many manufacturers converted their production lines to produce defense equipment and machines instead. With hundreds of thousands of men gone away serving overseas on the front lines, and such high demand for more war materials, there was a dire need for someone to work in the factories. 

Women stepped up to the plate and took jobs that they normally would not have considered taking, or been allowed to take, to build up America’s defense and help us win the war. Some women were joining the workforce for the very first time in their lives. Women worked these jobs for a variety of reasons including supporting our country, supporting their male family members, or simply because they needed the money. Around 350,000 women served in the U.S. Armed Forces during WWII, which was truly a feat due to gender discrimination at the time.  

However, one group of women stood out to me in my research. They were called the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion. They were an all-female group who were mostly African American, with some women from Mexican and Caribbean descent as well. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and Mary McLeod Bethune were able to rally for and succeeded to allow people of color to enter the Women’s Army Corps (WAC). The women in the 6888th Battalion were sent to England to complete a very important, specific mission: to fix the mail backlog issue. Mailing letters & packages was the only way for soldiers and their loved ones to keep in touch. Millions of letters and packages were so far backlogged that some had even been stuck for 3 years. The women were expected to sort through the mail and send it out in 6 months’ time, but they completed the daunting task in only 3 months. These women did not just sort mail and fix the backlog. They significantly boosted the morale of soldiers overseas who were finally able to receive their long-anticipated letters from loved ones. The 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion received recognition & awards for their accomplishments - perhaps one of the most significant being that the surviving members of the group received the Congressional Gold Medal June '22. 

Women of different races made a significant impact on many industries of WWII. They were courageous, and they stepped far outside of their comfort zone to get the jobs done. The women of WWII were a precious resource, and modern-day women continue to be a precious resource in both domestic and non-domestic positions around the world.

OMA information

Manabu Ikeda will be in residence at moCa multiple times during the exhibition, working on a new, monumental drawing in a temporary studio. 

Pamela Marrero (Computer Engineering '27 ) visited MOCA over Spring Break and had this to share:
When I visited, Manabu Ikeda's exhibit at MOCA, it felt like an out-of-body experience. His artworks were so complex, detailed, and brimming with talent. Sadly, it is not often that I can take time out of my day to look at and appreciate art, however, I am so happy that I decided to enter that exhibit. 

At that moment it was just me and his works and I quite literally felt my world slip off its axis. I could not believe that I was sharing the world with someone so talented. I kept walking through the exhibit and each piece left me even more speechless. All I could say was, wow, and admire them. There were so many emotions coursing through my body, it was amazing. As I passed through all the artworks and reached the end still in disbelief about everything I just saw, he was there. He was working away on a piece, unaware that he had changed my entire perspective on art and the world itself. After I went home, trying to process everything that I had just experienced, and it made me wonder about all the artists that I have yet to see their works and meet. I encourage everyone, to go out and visit an exhibit or two and experience art. Experience other's talents because it is such an incredible experience. One thing I also learned was that you do not need to know anything about art to appreciate it, just expose yourself to it and see how it makes you feel. 

If you have something to share with the OMA community, please write to us theoma@case.edu

Other Events

This Weekend

Friday, March 29
12pm [Stud Comm @ Covenant] Good Friday
2pm [LGBT] Queer Craft Circle + Case Glee Club
4pm [K-Pop] Klover Dance Workshop: "Standing Next to You" by Jungkook
4pm [Mather] Survivor Speak Out | Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2024
4pm [UDC & TWN] Misogyny in Academia Panel
5pm [La Alianza] With This Light (2023) FREE ADMISSION
6pm [Brotherhood & BLAC] Group Discussion: What Does It Mean to be a Black Athlete?
6pm [LGBT]  D&D
7pm [MECA]  Iftar
10pm [ASA]  AfroFete
Saturday, March 30
12pm [Ensemble] Jeopardy & Dessert-Tasting
2pm [TASA & Mahjong] Club Mixer
6pm [LMSA, La Alianza, & Amistad] Sabores de Latino América
6pm [Women in Physics & Astronomy] WiPAC Spring Movie Night
6:30pm [uISA] Formal: Blossom Ball
7pm GRAD [BLSA] 2024 Annual Black Ties Gala
Sunday, March 31
2:30pm [Se-Xy] Camp Se-xy
3pm [LGBT] TDOV Talent Show & Open Mic Night 2024
3pm [K-Pop]  Klover Dance Workshop: "3D" by Jungkook
6pm [UPCaM] Dinner Church
6:30pm [MSA] Iftaar Flagship
6:30pm [Cru] Easter Dinner
Publishing Symposium

3 Career Fairs Coming Up!

2024 LGBTQ+ Career & Resource Fair
Sat, March 30 - 10am-1pm

Welcoming Workforce Career Fair (international students)
Fri, Apr 12 - 11am-2pm

Federal Public Service Career Fair
Fri, Apr 22 - 10am-3pm

Next Week

Monday, April 1
6pm [LSJP] Palestine Unfiltered: Gaza's Struggle & Global Solidarity
6pm [Equity] Student Town Hall on Preventing Sexual Discrimination & Harassment
7pm [LGBT] Queer Media Group
Tuesday, April 2
11am [Mather] Dress For Success: Boutique on Wheels
12pm [UPB & WISER] Thwing Tuesdays
5:30pm [OSA] Weekly Meeting
6pm [Alumni] Student Ambassador Society Info Meeting
Wednesday, April 3
12pm [NSSLHA] COSI DEI Reading Group
1pm [LGBT] Tips for Job Seeking & Retention for LGBTQ+ Grads
6pm [#MeTooCWRU] GB#4: 'What to do if you've been roofied?'
6:30pm [ROC @ CWRU] Naturalization Workshop
7pm [Equity] Student Town Hall on Preventing Sexual Discrimination & Harassment
7pm GRAD [QGrad] Game Night
Thursday, April 4
3pm GRAD [Tea & Chocolate Club] Tasting
4:30pm GRAD  [LAW] Once Lost, Painfully Present: Maya Angelou’s Blacks, Blues, Black! (1968)
5pm GRAD [GSC] Jolly Happy Hour
7:30pm [Salsa Club] Salsa & Bachata Lesson
Friday, April 5
12:30pm [SJI] "Winston Willis a Memoir"
2pm [LGBT] Queer Craft Circle + PERIOD.
4:30pm [LGBT] Queer Sexual Health @ Thwing 101
5pm GRAD [GSC & GCAS] Happy Hour & Trivia Night 
6pm [UNICEF]  Gala
7pm [UMWS] One Year Anniversary Celebration: Giving & Receiving Flowers
10pm GRAD [oSTEM] Rainbow REVOLT
Saturday, April 6
6pm [Sisterhood] Fashion Show
6pm [La Alianza & SHPE] La Fiesta: Mock Quince
Sunday, April 7
6pm [UPCaM] Dinner Church
Greek Life Events
Tuesday, April 2
5-6pm Greek Life Equity Training 
6-8pm Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA): DEI Presentation
Thursday, April 4
5-6:30pm Upstander 101 
7-8:30pm Upstander 101 
Friday, April 5
1-2pm Greek Life Equity Training 
Resources
Friday, March 29
3:30-6:30pm Physical Resource Center Hours
Saturday, March 30
10am-6pm Physical Resource Center Hours
Monday, April 1
8pm I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine.
Tuesday, April 2
5pm R.A.D
Wednesday, April 3
4pm BIPOC+ Support Space
Thursday, April 4
2pm Rethinking Anxiety & Depression
2pm BIPOC+ Support Space
3pm Virtual Office Hours for Student Advocate
Friday, April 5
CWRU Food Insecurity Resources