Date: September 26, 2023
Subject: GSC Newsletter

Dear Graduate Student,

You will be receiving this newsletter every week on Tuesday (except when there is a university holiday on that Tuesday). If you would like something to be included in our newsletter, please submit the request using the form at the bottom of this newsletter.

Visit the GSC website (gsc.case.edu) for meeting minutes of the GSC General Assembly meetings, GSC 101 information for GSC-sponsored clubs, and general information about GSC.
Follow us on Instagram: cwru_gsc

Wellness Wednesday: Food Security

Join us for an enlightening session at "Wellness Wednesday: Food Security", hosted by the Office of Multicultural Affairs. At this event, you will have the opportunity to learn about the critical importance of addressing food security right here on CWRU's campus. We are thrilled to welcome Assistant Dean of Students and Case Manager, Allison Grills, as our guest speaker. Allison will provide valuable insights into the resources available both on campus and within the broader Cleveland community. Don't miss this chance to engage in a meaningful dialogue and discover ways to contribute to a food-secure campus and community. We are looking forward to your participation!
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2154986

Domestic Violence Survivor Speak-Out

Have you or a loved one been affected by domestic violence? As part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, the CWRU Flora Stone Mather Center for Women is providing an opportunity for survivors, or loved ones of survivors to share their experiences, through a night focused on art, healing, and spreading awareness of domestic violence. Students, staff, and faculty of CWRU are welcome to share spoken word poems, open letters, stories, and other spoken mediums about their experiences in a supportive audience environment. All participants may also choose to have a Mather Center staff member share their piece on their behalf to remain anonymous. The night will also feature artwork themed around domestic violence and healing from trauma, curated and created by the Cleveland Institute of Art students. If you are interested in submitting a spoken piece, visit this link: https://forms.gle/vaoXx1RgxWDovLtn8

https://cglink.me/2cS/r2149136

Looking for Engineering Masters and PhD students

The Office of Professional Programs (OPP) is looking for current Engineering Masters/PhD students in all disciplines to volunteer to talk to prospective Engineering Masters/PhD students both at in-person and virtual events. For each webinar, the audience and theme will be different. Topics will range from application process, research opportunities/experience, campus groups, internships, and Cleveland. We are also looking for Engineering volunteers to pose for a photoshoot, to update content on the CSE website. All are encouraged to volunteer. Thank you 

Unified Legal Community Gala: Una Noche Con LLSA

The Latinx Law Students Association gala will be on Sept. 30, 2023 from 7-11 p.m. in the CWRU Linsalata Alumni Center. This gala will highlight the presence of the Latinx community on campus and recognize the work Latinx law students and professional community members are doing in the Cleveland area. All are welcome, including non-student guests and community members. This is a GSC co-sponsored event as well. Tickets can be purchased on our Campus Groups site or at our event page: https://community.case.edu/LXLSA/rsvp_boot?id=2157911 

CWRU Flu Vaccine Clinic

Beginning Wednesday (September 27, 2023), there will be a series of free flu vaccine clinics at the Tinkham Veale University Center (TVUC). University ID must be shown. Appointments or registration are not required. More info here: https://cglink.me/2cS/r2139339

If none of the TVUC times work for you, there will also be clinics at the Health Education Campus (HEC):

Diversity Engagement Survey

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students – The School of Medicine is launching a Diversity Engagement Survey to assist us on how best to structure the school’s diversity and inclusion efforts. In order to solve a problem, it must first be understood. We must understand where we are now—what our baseline is—to build the sense of belonging that promotes academic excellence in the School of Medicine. That is why it is critically important that everyone in the School of Medicine complete the survey. Your responses will help shape the future by letting us know the steps needed to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, contribute, and excel. This 26-item survey describes the inclusiveness of our academic learning environment and defines our strengths and areas for improvement. Part two of the survey seeks demographic information to help our diversity planning efforts. Responses will only be reported in aggregate form, will not be provided to any unauthorized parties, and will not contain any information that would permit the identification of an individual. The deadline for completing the survey is Oct. 3. Completing the survey takes approximately 10 minutes. The Diversity Engagement Survey was developed in 2011 through a partnership between the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School. Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and CWRU School of Medicine have joined many other academic medical centers using this survey to measure and assess inclusion in academic medicine. We appreciate your time in taking this very important survey and your support for this crucial initiative. Please complete this survey today. Link: https://des.surveystar.com/case/ Thank you! Stan Gerson, MD Dean and Senior Vice President for Medical Affairs School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University

Seeking graduate students interested in becoming advisors and panel members for the Office of Equity

The Office of Equity, which is the Office of the Title IX Coordinator, and which supports students and employees experiencing discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and gender-based violence, is seeking to train interested undergraduate and graduate students to serve as Advisors and Panel Members. You can read more about these roles here. If interested, please complete the interest form here. Thank you.

University spirit committee

The Office of Student Activities & Leadership is revamping the University Spirit Committee and just received the support of the interim VP of Student Affairs Peter Whiting.

We believe this committee is important as it aims to promote school spirit, engagement in the community, and an overall sense of pride in CWRU. They are looking for individuals who are passionate about spreading Spartan spirit and increasing engagement. The committee will meet every other Friday from 10-11am on Zoom. Our next meeting is 9/29.

Contact Heather Willis if you are interested at hxw791@case.edu

Courageous Conversations

Courageous Conversations provide a place for students, faculty, staff and community members to be brave, build community and have courageous conversations. This year's focus is highlighting and uplifting underrepresented voices in our community and this month, we're highlighting our Hispanic/Latino friends and colleagues. Join us on Friday, September 29 from 10 - 11 a.m. in the Student Center rooms 313-315 for a panel discussion on how we can help drive Latino prosperity, power and progress at CSU and beyond. Registration: https://www.csuohio.edu/courageous-conversations/courageous-conversations-event-registration

GSC Director of Professional Development Presents: Ohio State Supreme Court Watch Party

Members from all graduate schools are invited to join us for a presentation of the oral arguments for and against maintaining Ohio's 6+ week abortion ban. After arguments are presented, attendees will be encouraged to join in lead student-led conversations about the arguments and the impact the decision could have on their industries. Dinner will be provided.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2223599

Professional Development Decisions Committee

Each year, students are given the opportunity to apply for up to $300 toward personally identified professional development needs. The Director of Professional Development from the GSC is seeking five students to help determine which of these applications should be approved and for ideas for interdisciplinary events. If you want to ensure that your school gets represented in these events or want to contribute to the graduate student body, please contact Sylvia Hernandez (ssh126@case.edu) by Monday, September 25. Meetings will take place about three times per semester, and food will be provided.

LGBTQ+ Grad Student Mixer

Come to the Jolly Scholar on September 28th, 7-9 PM, and meet other LGBT Graduate students and grab some free food! Graduate students from all programs are welcome to join us!
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2195404

Woodhill Choice Neighborhoods Initiative Spruce Up Days

Interested in community redevelopment? Woodhill Choice Neighborhoods Initiative is seeking volunteers for our Spruce Up Days to help paint, plant some greenery, do garden work, and more! The dates are Tuesday, September 26 at Wamelink & Steinway and Tuesday, October 10 at 109th St. & Notre Dame. Two half-shifts are available each day: 9am-1pm and 12pm-3pm. Sign up at this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C094CACA92BABFDC16-woodhill#/

CBTA 2023 Professional Development Conference

In collaboration with the CWRU School of Medicine Graduate Education Office, the Lerner Trainee Association, BME Graduate Student Association, and Association of Biomedical and Chemical Engineers (CSU) are hosting a conference focused on providing resources for trainees to develop themselves for their future careers. This multi-day event consists of panels of multidisciplinary experts, hands-on workshops with experts in resumes, CVs and LinkedIn, sessions on topics ranging from scientific writing to mentor/mentee communication, and more. Following the first two days of training, there will be a career networking session and an additional career focused panel on November 10th. This is an opportunity to meet and network with companies that are interested in hiring graduate students and postdocs. All sessions will be held in the Tinkham Veale University Center Kelvin & Eleanor Smith Foundation Grand Ballrooms A, B, C. The Conference will consist of 2 days of training and 1 day of networking: Thursday, October 19th 9-5pm - Professional Development Training Sessions Friday, October 20th 9-4pm - Personal Development Training Sessions Friday, November 10th 11-5pm - Career Networking Sessions This event is open to all trainees interested in furthering professional development, regardless of discipline. Join us for a one-stop shop for everything trainee professional, personal, and career development!
https://community.case.edu/BMEGSA/rsvp_boot?id=2210249

Register to Vote!

The Graduate Student Council (GSC) would like to first congratulate everyone on finishing their first month of classes. As we start a new academic year, it is important to remember the importance of being aware of current issues and being part of major decisions. It is voting season in Ohio and some significant issues are being addressed. GSC encourages everyone, regardless of political views, to consider voting this season as your voice matters on these issues.  
Here are some important dates to keep in mind if you are interested in participating in the Ohio General Elections this season;

Timeline for Registering to Vote:
Opens: NOW
Closes: October 10th, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.  
Early In-Person Voting:
Opens: October 11th, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Closes: November 5th, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.  
Absentee Voting By Mail:
Opens: October 11th, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Closes: November 6th, 2023 (Postmark Deadline)  
Election Day Voting:
Opens: November 7th, 2023 at 6:30 a.m.
Closes: November 7th, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.  

If you want to register to vote in Ohio, follow this link here: Register to Vote  
A calendar of important dates with more information can be found here: Calendar Link  
Information about how absentee voting works can be found here: Absentee Voting  
More information about what Ohio issues will be voted on can be found here: Statewide Issues  
If you are planning on registering and voting in another state, here is a link to find more information about your state’s election process: https://www.vote.org

A contemporary take on Latina/o/x mental health

Please join Dr. Gabriela Sehinkman, PhD candidate Elisa Borrero, and MSW Candidate Valeria Stutz for a panel about contemporary mental health issues in Latina/o/x communities. Cookies will be served, and please feel free to bring your lunch. The panel will take place at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences (11235 Bellflower Rd) from 12:45 - 1:45 pm.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2203968

Meet the GSC Executive Board

Each week, we will introduce two to four GSC Executive Board members. Today, we present the Vice President of Internal Communication and the Vice President of Finance. For information about all GSC Executive Board members, please visit our website.

Kameron Ko (he/him)
Vice President of Internal Communications
School of Dental Medicine
Doctor of Dental Medicine

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?
I joined the GSC Executive Board because I am passionate about making a meaningful contribution to the graduate student community at CWRU. I also enjoy making new connections with people from different backgrounds and engaging in thoughtful conversations. After attending every general assembly meeting last year as a first-year dental student, I am excited about the opportunity to contribute in a greater role. Furthermore, I believe that I am perfectly suited for this position because of my acute attention to detail.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?
It is my primary objective to create a channel of clear and effective communication between the GSC Executive Board and GSC Representatives, as well as professional programs and the general graduate student body. I will endeavor to efficiently distribute and disseminate important information to the greater graduate student community by uploading well-written meeting minutes to the GSC website.
I am especially excited about the opportunity to utilize my unique work habits and highly proficient organizational skills to bring a refreshing sense of structure to the GSC Executive Board and all of its essential functions. I am looking forward to working with all GSC Executive Board members and GSC Representatives to ensure that the graduate student experience at CWRU is a truly memorable one.

What are you looking forward to this academic year?
As a second-year dental student, I am personally looking forward to broadening my horizons and becoming more involved in the graduate student community at CWRU than I was last school year. Moreover, I want to use my perpetual pursuit of knowledge and academic excellence to help other dental students succeed. I hope that this academic year is replete with personal growth and indelible memories. I cannot wait to see what the future holds — wishing everyone an amazing academic year!

Ling Ding (she/her)
Vice President of Finance
Weatherhead School of Management
MBA/ Master of Finance

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?
I am enthusiastic about finance and believe this position will provide me with the opportunity to develop my skills in managing a budget, allowing me to use my knowledge and expertise to serve the graduate student community.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?
I will take on the responsibility of managing GSC budgets and ensuring smooth club operations, so that funds are not encumbered. My goal is to enrich students' campus life opportunities and foster a lively student community by carefully managing finances and embracing an inclusive mindset. Moreover, I will prioritize clear and open budget reporting to keep all stakeholders informed about our financial well-being.

What are you looking forward to this academic year?
I am dedicated to exploring opportunities for comprehensive growth, seeking wisdom from respected professors, building cooperative bonds with my peers, and connecting with industry experts. Meanwhile, I am keen to play a part in supporting my fellow students' development, nurturing an inclusive and diverse community.

EVENT

October GA

Wednesday, October 4, 2023
5:30pm - 6:30pm
Toepfer Room-Adelbert Hall, Tinkham Veale University Center 11038 Bellflower Road, Room 150 , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

Join the Graduate Student Council at our General Assembly meeting to discuss what we've been up to! All graduate students are welcome to attend. Free food will be provided.
Please RSVP either in person or virtually so we have enough food and drink for all students coming in person.

REGISTER

FORM

GSC Newsletter Request Form 2023-2024

Complete the Form