Date: August 26, 2019
Subject: Mandel School Staff Plan-it: August 26, 2019

CWRU MSASS logo with title

In this issue:

On the Move - Promotion

Photo of Joanne KlingensteinJoanna Klingenstein has been promoted to Research Assistant 4 at the Begun Center.  Joanna works with Dr. Rachel Lovell and her team on sexual assault kit investigation projects in the School's Research Commons.  She helps the team with data management and writing projects.  Before arriving in Cleveland, Joanna worked in various social work settings where she focused on crisis intervention, risk and safety assessment, and familial and kinship reconciliation.  Joanna is currently pursuing a Master of Arts in Religious Studies from Case Western Reserve University.

Fall Student Employment Begins Today, August 26th

If you have not yet rehired continuing student employees for the fall semseter, please do so soon.  Student hire forms, employment guides and other information are available here.  Completed forms should be emailed to Melissa Van who will then send them to student employment.

Third Annual Mandel School Faculty-Staff BBQ

This year's faculty-staff barbeque will be held on Thursday, September 5th, from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Mandel Center courtyard (greenspace behind building).  Please click here to RSVP and to volunteer to bring a side dish or dessert.

Save the Date: Next All-Staff Meeting

The next All-Staff meeting will be Thursday, September 26, 2019 from 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. in Mandel Center 115.  Please note the day change to Thursday - we hope this enables more staff to attend.  An agenda will be sent out as the date approaches.

Say My Name: Chinese Pronunciation

Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 1 - 2:30 p.m., Nord Hall 356.  CWRU faculty and staff are invited to learn how to pronounce the names of their Chinese students, and gain a better understanding of how to support them in the classroom. Feel free to bring along your roster! This session will be led by Elizabeth Miller, Assistant Director of International Student Services in the Center for International Affairs.  Click here to RSVP.

Get to Know... Valerie Rambin

Three Questions with Valerie Rambin

1.  What does a typical day at work look like for you?  Every day is different.  I meet with students, recruit for our study abroad programs, and collaborate with colleagues from other Schools and departments.  I might be helping a student with their passport application, participating in a recruiting event in the Tink, or coordinating with faculty on their study abroad course.  I love that my job allows me to work closely with students, staff, and faculty from across campus.

1. Where is your favorite spot on or near campus to work, read or study?  The atrium at the [Cleveland] Museum of Art.  It's a wonderful space to help put things in a different perspective or have a working lunch meeting.  It really puts you in a different head space when you walk into the museum.
  2. What is one of your favorite hobbies, or what hobby would you pursue if you had more time?  I love to cook for my family.  We go to the farmers market every Saturday in the summer and fall to get our CSA (community supported agriculture) and other goodies.  For me, it's been a great opportunity to try out new recipes, be more creative in the kitchen, and to think about eating and cooking more in tune with the seasons.  We try really hard to sit down for family dinner every night and we are making every attempt to turn our kids into little foodies.
"Get to Know..." content provided by the Mandel Staff Working Group

Upcoming Events/Deadlines

September 5, 2019:  Faculty-Staff BBQ, 1 - 3 p.m., Mandel Center courtyard.
September 26, 2019:  All-Staff meeting, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m., Mandel Center 115.

Important Links

Staff Feedback & Suggestion Form: Submit feedback & suggestions related to the Mandel School.   Resources for Faculty & Staff: Access School policies & information (human resources, finance, IT, research).
Mandel School Directory   Access HCM: Enter & approve time monthly.
Staff Plan-it Archive: Access past Plan-it newsletters.    

Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel
School of Applied Social Sciences
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH  44106-7164
Staff Plan-it
News + Info in a Single Bound