Date: February 29
Subject: Hold on, Spring Break is Coming! [OMA Newsletter]

Hi First_Name,

OMA Newsletter

Hello, my mellow music lovers!

by Stephen Furlow
OMA Associate Director for Community Engagement & Partnership

Even with an extra day, we cannot leap over the fact that Black history month 2024 is now history, well at least until June which in 1979 became Black Music Appreciation Month. Wait, what am I saying? Black People continue to make history all throughout the year, in areas that extend far beyond the arts.

Here’s a challenge for you? Think about the career path that you are currently pursuing or the job that you are currently doing and find out who the first Black person or person of color was to occupy that seat, giving you the opportunity and space to innovate. It may surprise you that your participation still qualifies you as a part of breaking the color barrier and addressing diversity, equity, inclusivity, and engagement. 

Please allow me to move my soapbox over. Thank you kindly. 

With very little time left, I will not be able to go into heavy detail regarding the following genres: Disco, Classic Soul, 80’s/90’s R&B and of course, 2000’s to present day Hip Hop. However, I wanted to leave you with a sizable list of resources that you may find useful when conducting your own searches and melody motivated and melanated historical deep dives.  

To keep the wrap up entertaining and the exit grand, I wanted to use one short clip from online music enthusiast “GendirectMusic” on all social media, to highlight a practice that record companies use to profit from unaware fans. A practice that allowed Elvis Presley to flourish while using Big Momma Thornton’s Hound Dog to propel him towards greater success. In essence, this is the same practice that had both Black American singer and Actress Dionne Warwick and Black Jazz legend Miles Davis, confused about the look of their album covers, which depicted white women in various leisure like scenes that were not at all reflective of the feel of their artistry. 

While doing research for the Divisions of Student Affairs Black History Month Coffee and Chat, I became curious about popular forms of Black artistry and how they may have been appropriated around the world. The links below are examples of a Popular style of Hip Hop known as Drill which originated in Chicago and New York City but became a worldwide phenomenon. 

I truly hope you enjoyed this year’s OMA Black Music Series during BHM, and I hope that you look forward to the next installment as you stay tuned to our newsletter for this and all other great topics each week! Peace! 

For those interested - here's a document with some additional resources/links I compiled while researching. Enjoy!
OMA information

Come Find Out YOUR Strengths with OMA!

Want to understand yourself better? How about knowing how to work most effectively with teams? The OMA professional & student staff have all taken the Clifton Strengthsfinder assessment and are working on developing each of our unique groups of strengths. We'd love you to join us whether you are an undergraduate/graduate student, faculty, or staff member at CWRU!

Come to OMA next week and get a link to take the assessment, then you can add your name and strengths to our wall poster and join the larger discussion on how this can transform your understanding of yourself and also your impact as a leader.

I have been able to see how I have grown as a leader, how my academic pursuits have enhanced some strengths, and how my value is understood as part of a team. I am grateful to this assessment in its ability to truly be a mirror into how I show up in my work, and in the world.
~ Janée Kelly, Director, OMA

I can assist to better support my team through quality awareness of what I bring to the group. 
~ Steve Furlow, Associate Director, OMA

I’ve learned how to work and think healthier so I can be the best version of myself.
~ Mari Arrieta, Student Coordinator, OMA

Campus Events

This Weekend

Thursday, February 29
5pm GRAD [GSC] Jolly Happy Hour
5pm GRAD [BLSA] Celebrating The Lived Experiences of Black Attorneys Networking Event
5:30pm [LGBT] Gender Resistance x RHA
6pm [NSBE] Career Fair Prep
7:30pm [Salsa Club] Salsa & Bachata Lesson
Friday, March 1
10am [NSSLHA] COSI Coffee First Friday
11:30am [Black Faculty & Staff Resource Group] Speaking Our Truth: Protecting & Preserving Our Crowns Conference 
1pm [#MeTooCWRU] General Body Meeting #3
2-4pm [CWRU] Employee Appreciation Day
2pm [LGBT] Queer Craft Circle
4pm [PPGEN@CWRU] Personalized Reproductive Health Kit Making for Women's Month
4pm [MECA] Dabke Workshop
4pm [Klover] Dance Workshop: "Easy" by Le Sserafim
5pm [Brotherhood & Mather] Welcome to MatherLand
5pm [ASA & Ceramic Art Club] Ceramics + Roundtable Discussion
5:30pm [SIsterhood] Body Dysmorphia Discussion
6pm [Hillel & JSU] Shabbat-a-Palooza
6pm [WIF] Mandy  Yang: Building Confidence, Acumen, Support, & Empowerment
6pm [LGBT] D&D
6pm [JapanCase] Watch Anime
7pm [MSA] Ramadan Big-Little Orientation
7pm [UPB] Food Tours: Das Schnitzel Haus
7pm [Tsunagari Japan] Castella & Conversation
Saturday, March 2
10am [oSTEM] Great Lakes Science Center
10am [Atlantis] Toledo Museum of Art Trip
11am [Black Faculty & Staff Resource Group] Speaking Our Truth: Protecting & Preserving Our Crowns Conference 
1pm Flea Market
4pm [Sisterhood] Fashion Show Auditions
5pm [TASA] Plum Blossom  (flagship event)
5pm [Naachi di CWRU] Bhangra & Fusion Performance
7pm [PCRF, SJP, MSA, MECA, La Alianza, & Period@CWRU] Battle of the Clubs: Volleyball Tournament
7pm GRAD [ROC] Benefit Dinner
Sunday, March 3
1pm [NAMI & Empower CWRU] Mental Health Conversations the "Write" Way
2:30pm [Se-xy] Se-xy N Bloom (ft. Yogurt Parfait)
4pm [German Society] Kaffeestunde
6pm [UPCaM] Dinner Church

Explore Your Strengths During Strengths Week

Join us throughout the week to discover how you can unleash the power of your unique talents with CliftonStrengths. We'll guide you through the assessment process, delve into your Top 5 Strengths, and even provide customized door decorations for your office or residence hall that celebrate your strengths.

CliftonStrengths is open to all members of the CWRU community, including students, staff, & faculty. Come visit us and embark on a journey of self-discovery and achievement.

Mon, Mar 4 ~ 11am – 1:30pm ~ Tink - Tabling
Tues, Mar 5 ~ 11am – 1:30pm ~ Nord - Atrium Table
Weds, Mar 6 ~ 11am – 1:30pm ~ Thwing - Atrium Table
Fri, Mar 8 ~ 11am – 1:30pm ~ Tink - Tabling

Next Week

Monday, March 4
11am [SA&L] CliftonStrengths at CWRU Discovery Table
7pm [LGBT] Queer Media Group
Tuesday, March 5
11am [SA&L] CliftonStrengths at CWRU Discovery Table
12pm [UPB & ASA] Thwing Tuesdays & Sandra Aduke
5:30pm [OSA] Weekly Meeting