Date: August 7
Subject: VISA News: New Student Check In, New VISA Advisors, International Student Welcome Party, and MORE

IS

VISA Office News

VISA Office Information

The VISA Office is open 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday. We are located in Crawford Hall, Suite 215.

We have virtual chat advising available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11am to 1pm. Access virtual chat from our website here.

You are also welcome to contact us for an in-person, phone, or virtual appointment. Please email visa@case.edu to request an appointment or schedule from our website here.

Check In with the VISA Office

If you are new to CWRU or beginning a new program at CWRU this semester, you need to check in online as part of the process to maintain your visa status.  If you are a change-of-educational level student or transfer student, you must also check in.

To Check In:

If you will be on campus this semester to begin your program, please access the Instructions on How to Check In with the VISA Office and complete the process. Please note that you:

• check in online AFTER you arrive in the US with your valid I-20 or DS-2019

• can check in up to 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019

• must check in by the start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019If there is a delay, please notify us immediately

We cannot process any on-campus employment or Social Security Number paperwork until you have been checked in.

Virtual Chat Advising Is Now Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 

VISA Office Virtual Advising is now on Mondays, WEDNESDAYS, and Fridays, 11 am to 1 pm EST.

If you have a question or concern, reach out to an advisor through the chat box. The chat box (it looks just like the picture above) will be available on our website.

New Advisors Join the VISA Office

(Left) "I'm Yang Cressman, an advisor for international students at the VISA Office. My study abroad experiences in South Korea and in the U.S. sparked my passion for this field. Outside of my work, I've been volunteering with a local non-profit organization to welcome international students and scholars in Cleveland since 2015. I look forward to seeing you!"

(Middle) "I am Tara Grischow and I have been working in the field of international education for over 10 years. I find joy in learning about other cultures and traditions through our students, faculty, and staff as well as traveling. My role at CWRU is data accuracy and procedures and I look forward to meeting international students and scholars through my work with the VISA Office."

(Right) "Howdy. I’m James. Good to meet you. I look forwad to helping you stay in status."

OISRE News

OISRE Office Information

The Office of International Student Resources & Engagement (OISRE) helps international students adapt to life in the US. They offer support services and plan events for international students and the campus community.

OISRE is open Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. They also have drop-in hours on Thursdays from 11 am to 1 pm in Tomlinson Hall, Room 143.

You can reach them at international@case.edu or call 216-368-2517.

International Student Welcome Party

The Office of International Student Resources and Engagement invites you to the International Student Welcome Party on Thursday, August 29th, from 3:00pm to 5:00pm on the Quad in front of Tomlinson Hall. There will be food, games, fun, and giveaways! Click on this link to register for this free event! 

Furniture and Household Items Giveaway

When: Saturday, Aug 17th, starting at 9am

Where: In the gymnasium of the Church of the Saviour (2537 Lee Road)

All new international students are invited to the International Students Fellowship’s annual Furniture and Household Items Giveaway. Students should arrive between 8:30am and 8:45am; there is no need to arrive any earlier.

This event is free, but space is limited. Items will be given away in a random lottery. For more information and to register, email isfcleveland@gmail.com or join the International Student Fellowship Facebook group.

CWRU Exchange Buddy Program

If you are an incoming exchange student who would like to partner with a CWRU student who has studied abroad, please click on this link for more information on the CWRU Exchange Buddy ProgramThe Office of International Student Resources and Engagement wants to help you connect you with someone who likely shares a few of your interests (in addition to international travel!).

Asian Lantern Festival at the Cleveland Zoo

Experience the wonder of Cleveland Metroparks Zoo illuminated after dark with live acrobatic performances every hour, a variety of culturally-inspired cuisine, and all-new lantern displays including a 50-foot-tall pagoda and themed areas like the Blooming Gardens.

The festival continues through August 25, 2024.

Play Ball!

Attend a Cleveland Guardians baseball game in downtown Cleveland with $10 student tickets.

Check out their schedule.

More August Fun!

University Hospitals Farmers Market
Visit the farmers market at University Hospitals next to CWRU's campus. Locally sourced lunch is served while you shop. Free parking is available, only 30 steps away from farm-fresh produce!

When: Thursdays, 10:30am to 1:30pm; June 6 – October 17, 2024
Where: 2074 Adelbert Road

WOW! Wade Oval Wednesdays
Cleveland's favorite free summer concert series is happening on Wade Oval now through August 14!  

Upcoming concerts:

• August 7 - Cleveland Soul Kitchen
  • August 14 - Apostle Jones & LGBTQ+ Pride
Click here for more information. Located next to CWRU's campus at 10820 East Blvd.

Take A Hike
Take a guided in-person tour from June to September. Learn about the Theatre District, Little Italy, Public Square, Ohio City, and more neighborhoods! 

Features

Practice Your Spoken English

The Spoken English Language Programs (SELP) at the School of Graduate Studies is hosting an English conversation hour for graduate students, postdocs, undergraduates and their spouses/partners.

The programming is designed for international students for whom English is an additional language. 

English conversation hours will be held on Thursday, August 8th, at noon in Tomlinson Hall, Room 239.

Register to attend through CampusGroups. Contact Eric Moore at selp@case.edu with questions.

Record How to Pronounce Your Name in SIS

Case Western Reserve University has partnered with NameCoach, a web-based tool that allows students to record the pronunciation of their name, if they choose to. 

NameCoach empowers students to record their names from SIS (Student Information System) so that faculty and staff can listen from Canvas or SIS within 24 hours of recording it. Students will also be able to listen to the recording in Canvas.

Students, advisors and instructors may find NameCoach helpful in cultivating an inclusive learning environment and respectful relationships with students. 

Review instructions on how to record a name in SIS.

Email sisbateam@case.edu with questions.

If you would like to promote your event or opportunity through VISA News, please make a complete submission (including flyers, images, details, etc.) for consideration by noon on Monday to visa@case.edu. The VISA Office cannot guarantee that all submissions will appear in the newsletter, as space is limited, but staff will review all timely submissions for consideration.