Date: October 6, 2022
Subject: Rally in Public Square for Iran & all the October History Months [OMA Newsletter]

Dear First_Name,

OMA Newsletter

Rally for Freedom in Iran #womanlifefreedom

10/01 Cleveland Public Square
On September 16, Mahsa Amini, an Iranian woman, died in police custody after being arrested 3 days earlier because her hair wasn't fully covered by her hijab. Since then, there have been unprecendented protests across Iran, and susequently worldwide push back against the dictatorship. For more on the story including maps on the worldwide protests.

The picture above is of CWRU staff member, Pardis Saharnaz, from the Orthodontic Dept in the Dental School.  From Pardis:
In 2009 there was a major protest against Iran's dictator leader. Becuase I was among the protesters, I was subsequently banned from continuing my education at university.
Since Mahsa Amini's death, the Iranian people are in the streets protesting, getting beaten and even killed by Islamic guards. As a woman who has experienced lots of limitations as personal as not being able to choose my outfit, I'm seeking freedom for my sisters back in my home country.
I’ve lost my education in Iran so I’ve decided not to go back to my motherland, unless democracy happens there. But I’m not going to help the country financially by traveling there and spending money which would be used for bullets in my sisters' chests.
Standing against a brutal ruthless dictatorship is something you usually want to do anonymously, not to face troubles afterwards, but I, Pardis Saharnaz, raise my voice and stand against Islamic republic, with my face not covered, my heart full of pain and my hair chopped off as symbol as grieving…

OMA was invited to help publicize the rally by Sahand Emrahoglu, a graduate student in the Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Clinic at the Dental School. Here's Sahand's story:  
I grew up in a city near the border of Turkey and Iran, and would frequently travel back and forth. I wondered why there was such a big difference between the two countries. Turkey would have tourists and treated its women with respect. But in Iran, there were so many rules against women and their freedom. 
Iran was a great place and could be great again, but the condition now is terrible. My hope for this rally was that it would draw attention to the conditions and change the mindset of the dictatorship of Iran.  I participated for my own mother and sister, as well as for all the women I know and even that I don’t know in Iran. 

Ghazal Adibi and some other undergraduate friends also participated in the rally, and even held a small protest beforehand on campus. Ghazal, pictured in the middle holding the Iranian Imperial flag which is used as a symbol of opposition to the Islamic Republic, was joined by Elizabeth Ochoa and Isabelli Li. Ghazal shares:
As someone who emmigrated from Iran when I was 13, it was really meaningful to see other Iranians and other supporters come together and protest for the brave women in Iran. I get really emotional thinking about the fact that if I hadn't immigrated to the US, there is a very strong chance I would be one of the many Iranian women that have been murdered by the regime. These women are consistently silenced by the regime and a protest like this is much more meaningful than people may realize. 
I think it's important to remind people that a protest against the violent regime in Iran IS NOT a protest against Islam. I think it can be confusing for some people, especially since most of these protests are held in Farsi and non-speakers may not understand exactly what's going on. 
We also held a small protest on campus before the one downtown, which was great because I got to answer some questions for people who were wondering what life in Iran is like. I hope to help people understand the beauty of Iranian culture, and get rid of the harmful misconceptions that western media portrays about the Middle East. 

For more photos of the rally, check out OMA's instagram, and Randy Blackford's facebook

OMA information

October is a FULL Month

We hope by now you knew that the first 2 weeks of October are the final 2 weeks of the month-long celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. What started as a week back in 1968, was expanded to a month in 1988. But what you may not have realized are the other groups who also celebrate in October.

• Beginning celebrations in 2009, October is Filipino American History month. October commemorates the first recorded presence of Filipinos in the continental US, which occurred on October 18, 1587, when “Luzones Indios” came ashore from the Spanish galleon Nuestra Senora de Esperanza and landed at what is now Morro Bay, California.
  • LBTQ History month also claims October for celebration, and was first celebrated in 1994. In the United States, Canada, & Australia, it is celebrated in October to coincide with National Coming Out Day on October 11 and to commemorate the first and second marches on Washington in 1979 and 1987 for LGBT rights.
  • October is recognized as Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). This month evolved from the First Day of Unity observed in October 1981, which spread to a week, and then to a month back in 1987.
  • Finally, held for the first time just last year in 2021, Hindu Heritage month is also celebrated in October. October is significant to this group because it is the birth month of Mahatma Gandhi and is often when major Hindu holidays such as Navaratri and Diwali are celebrated.

Check out OMA's (growing) Display of Cultural Group Leaders

We're featuring leaders of the cultural groups at CWRU in a display on our wall in OMA. Along with their hometowns, major, and year, leaders answered some questions to help you get to know them better. Check out the growing display in OMA - and if you don't see your group, encourage your president to reply to the email we've sent out!

Other Events
Thurs, Oct 6
  Homecoming 2022 Various locations
2p Virtual Career Fair Online
3:30p oSTEM Hang Out Sesh LGBT Center
5p LGBT  Gaymers  
6:30p WISER  Pumpkin Painting Party! Women's Center
7p NSBE Study Tables STJ interactive
Fri, Oct 7
1:30p Weatherhead Multicultural Club  Bubble Tea Party PBL 208
2p LGBT  Queer Craft Circle + UH&CS Tink 1ConfRm
4p the Benefits of Study Abroad Tink StudOrgCntr
5:45p MECA x PSA Henna Event STJ Multipurp
6p Case Hinduism Club  Hinduism Trivia Night Thwing Bellflower
7p InterVarsity Large Group  
8:30p SATRANG  Bollywood Bash Thwing Atrium
Sat, Oct 8
2p TASA FAM Olympics STJ
4p KASA x VSA BBQ Mixer Leutner Pavillion
4p International Studies Career Workshop Tink StudOrgCntr
5p BLSA Induction Ceremony & Networking Reception  
6p KSA Chuseok Dinner Thwing 201
Sun, Oct 9
1p UDC World Expo! Thwing Center
4p German Society Kaffestunde 2 Guifford House 301
6p UPCaM  Dinner Church Church of the Cov 
Mon, Oct 10
11:30a LGBT  Lunch Gay Buddies Table  
6:45p LGBT  Q the Election: LGBTQ and the Midterms Thwing 101
Tues, Oct 11
9a Mather Center  The Essentials of Reproductive Justice: Access, Autonomy, and Action Tink Ballrooms
Weds, Oct 12
12p Provost  Critical Conversation #2: Politics & Democracy

Thwing Ballroom

2:30p FIRSTCWRU  Pie our Exec Binary Walkway
4:30p OIDEO Graduate &Professional Student Reception! Thwing Bellflower & Cleveland
5:30p LGBT  Gender Resistance  
Fri, Oct 14
11:45a Inamori  Lunch and Learn: Centering the Rights of Women, Children, and Adolescents Inamori Center
1p Mather Center  Healthy Relationships Workshop Online
3p FEMAL: PUMPKIN FEST CRCC FUNDRAISER Leutner Pavilion
7p Grad LGBTQ+ Mixer Jolly Scholar
Sat, Oct 15
2p AAA  GB Meeting #2/ DynAAAsty Reveal STJ Multipur
7:30p UISA Diwali Dinner Thwing Ballroom

Join the African American Alumni Association (AAAA) at Homecoming!

• African American Alumni Association Welcome Reception Kick off the celebration
    Friday, October 7 ~  6-10pm ~ Linsalata Alumni Center
    Food, games and a candle-light vigil, Alumni, students and families are encouraged to attend this special networking opportunity at no charge.
  • Stephanie Tubbs Jones 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run
    Saturday, October 8 ~ 8:30-9:30am ~ Disanto Field.
    Please consider attending or supporting this scholarship fundraiser named for a founding member of the AAAA.  
  • African American Alumni Association Reunion Dinner Dance
    Saturday, October 8 ~ 6-10pm ~ Thwing Center
    Please join us for an evening of dinner, dancing, and award presentations.  Guests are encouraged to dress as they did during their time on campus for this festive throwback party. 
  • Inspirational Breakfast
    Sunday, October 9 ~ 9am-12pm ~ the Cleveland Skating Club
    Feed your body and soul.

Register

CWRU Food Insecurity Resources
Fri, Oct 7
3p Yoga Class Thwing Multipurp
Mon, Oct 10
3p BIPOC Support Space  
4p T.H.I.N.K Training with UHCS Thwing 101
6p I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine. Thwing Cleveland 
8:15p Yoga Class Cleveland Yoga - Little Italy Studio