Date: March 8, 2023
Subject: ISS News, March 8, 2023: Preparing for Spring Break, UCIS Announcement, Nominate Students for ISAC, Study Abroad Photo Contest, H1B Workshop Recording, Tax Information, GSAW, International Women of Courage Event, Good Vibes, and More

ISS news header

March 8, 2023

in this issue:

1. OPT & CPT Workshops
  2. Traveling During Spring Break
  3. ISS is OPEN During Spring Break
  4. Beware pf Student Job Scams
  5. Tax Information for 2022
  6. Features
  7. Campus Happenings
  8. Other Opportunities
  9. Good Vibes Only
  10. USCIS Announces Premium Processing for Certain F-1 Students

ISS staff members are here to support you! 

Please visit our website to learn about the advising options that are available and connect with us so that we can assist you.

Spring break written in the sand next to sunglasses

Spring Break- ISS is OPEN

While we hope you'll be resting and relaxing over Spring Break (March 13-17), please know that ISS will be available if you need assistance.

The next ISSNews will be sent to your inbox on March 22!

spring break sign

Traveling During Spring Break

**If you have concerns about how the pandemic could impact your travel plans, ISS strongly encourages all students to consider the risks that might come with traveling and to plan accordingly.  We understand that traveling may be necessary and just want you to be best prepared.**

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. during the break, be sure to check the entry requirements for all of the places you will visit.  As a visitor, it is necessary to comply with all of the laws put in place by a host country’s government.

To enter the US from abroad, proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test are currently required.  As you get closer to your return date, be sure to check the CDC's website for the most current information related to entry requirements.  You should also familiarize yourself with university policies related to returning to campus after international travel.

In addition to vaccination and testing requirements, a valid travel signature on your I-20 (if you are in F-1 status) or your DS-2019 (if you are in J-1 status) is required to enter the United States.  Before leaving campus, ideally 2 weeks before you leave campus, check your I-20 or DS-2019 for a valid travel signature. 

A travel signature is valid for up to one year with just two exceptions: (1) If you will be traveling to Canada, you should have a travel signature that is no more than six months old. (2) If you have applied for or are currently approved for post-completion OPT as an F-1 student, a travel signature is valid for only six months.

To request a travel signature, log into Terra Dotta (visas.case.edu), submit the electronic Travel Signature Request, and follow the instructions to receive your signature.

For more information related to travel and your F-1 visa status, visit this website.

For more information related to travel and your visa J-1 visa status, visit this website.

OPT and CPT workshop branding telling students that workshops are available online

OPT & CPT Workshops

ISS is offering Optional Practical Training (OPT) and CPT Workshops to go over in detail the application process, student responsibilities, and other important considerations.

Being well informed before applying for either authorization is extremely important and applying early is critical!

USCIS is publishing that it takes 3-5 months to process submitted OPT applications. Plan to complete a required OPT workshop as early as possible to be best prepared. Remember, you do not need to have a job offer to apply for OPT!

You do need to have a job offer before applying for CPT authorization and you are not eligible to begin your experience until you have proper authorization in place. It can take several days to become authorized.

Virtual workshops led by an advisor have been scheduled and information about required registration, attendance, and the application process can be found on our website under the OPT and CPT sections.

USCIS images

USCIS Announces Premium Processing for Certain F-1 Students and Online Filing for Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service

On March 6, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the expansion of premium processing for certain F-1 students.  ISS is including USCIS' message below and this is all of the information that we have at this time.  We have questions and we're sure you do too!  As ISS receives more information, we will share it with students.

USCIS' Message:
"Today, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced the expansion of premium processing for certain F-1 students. For the first time, Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service, is also available to file online for students seeking optional practical training (OPT) or science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) OPT.

The premium processing expansion for certain F-1 students will occur in phases.

Beginning March 6, we will accept Form I-907 requests, filed via paper form or online, for certain F-1 students who have a pending Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if they are filing under one of these categories:

• (c)(3)(A) – Pre-Completion OPT;
  • (c)(3)(B) – Post-Completion OPT; and
  • (c)(3)(C) – 24-Month Extension of OPT for STEM students.

Beginning April 3, we will accept Form I-907 requests, filed via paper form or online, for F-1 students in the above categories when filed together with a Form I-765.

We will reject premium processing requests for a pending Form I-765 under these eligible categories if we receive the request before March 6. We will reject premium processing requests for a concurrently filed Form I-765 if we receive the request before April 3.

To file Form I-907 online, you must first create a USCIS online account, which provides a convenient and secure method to submit forms, pay fees, and track the status of any pending USCIS immigration request throughout the adjudication process. There is no cost to set up a USCIS online account, which offers a variety of features, including the ability to communicate with USCIS through a secure inbox and respond to Requests for Evidence online. If you have previously filed a USCIS form online, you may use your existing USCIS online account.

Applicants who previously filed a paper Form I-765 and wish to file Form I-907 online to request premium processing should reference the USCIS Account Access Notice they received for the Online Access Code and details on how to link their paper-filed cases to their online account, or they will not be able to file Form I-907 online and will need file a paper Form I-907 with the Chicago lockbox.

Only certain F-1 students seeking OPT or STEM OPT extensions may file Form I-907 online at this time. Applicants who file a paper Form I-907, or any other USCIS form, can still create an online account to track the status of their form throughout the adjudication process, even if they did not file the form online. To find more information about which forms are available for online filing, visit our Forms Available to File Online page.

USCIS is committed to making technology and operational improvements to reduce processing times. As previously announced, we are expanding premium processing to additional form types as part of our efforts to increase efficiency and reduce burdens to the overall immigration system.

As we implement the expansion of premium processing in a phased approach, we will continue working toward premium processing availability of Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. We anticipate expanding premium processing for certain students and exchange visitors with pending Form I-539 applications in May and certain students and exchange visitors who are filing initial Form I-539 applications in June.

The agency will adhere to the legislative requirement that the expansion of premium processing [does] not result in an increase in processing times for immigration benefit requests not designated for premium processing or an increase in regular processing of immigration benefit requests so designated.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn."

scam spelled out on keyboard

Beware of Scams

ISS wants to make sure that international students are aware of scams and know how to protect themselves.  Visit our website for more information.

Tax Information for 2022 Filing Year

cartoon people starting up at giant tax word

Tax Deadline in April: Forms & Sprintax Availablity

Sprintax is a tax-return-preparation software program designed primarily for international students and other educational visa holders. It can help you prepare your U.S. federal income tax return, which you are legally required to file to the Internal Revenue Service.  ISS has arranged free access to Sprintax for your federal tax filing needs.

You may access Sprintax and begin preparing your tax return by following these steps:

1. Register and follow the simple instructions
  2. Complete the online questionnaire
  3. Enter Case Western Reserve University’s unique code. This code was sent to you via email on February 7.
  4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return

If Sprintax determines that you are required to file state taxes, you will have the opportunity to prepare those state taxes. You are not required to use Sprintax to file state taxes but, remember, it is your responsibility to comply with the law and properly file all taxes.

If by now, you haven't received your W-2 from CWRU, contact Payroll at payroll@case.edu. If you were authorized to work for another employer, you should contact their payroll department.

For more information regarding the 1098-T, please visit Financial Services website to download the Nonresident Alien 1098-T Request Form.

1042-S forms will be prepared by mid-March and sent to students by Payroll. Please contact Payroll if you have questions about the issuance of your 1042-S.

For more information, visit our Information on Filing Taxes page and if you have any questions, the Sprintax team will be happy to help via their 24/7 live chat function or email hello@sprintax.com. ISS staff members cannot advise you on your questions, which is why we partner with the experts at Sprintax.

Sprintax logo

Sprintax Offers Tax Webinars to Prepare for Tax Filing Season 2022

ISS partners with the tax experts at Sprintax who offer tax filing services to international students that are considered non-resident aliens for tax purposes. The Sprintax team will be hosting a series of free open tax webinars to provide helpful information about non-resident tax filing obligations.

You can find the details and registration links below for each:

The informational webinars will cover the same topics on each occasion:

• An overview of tax for nonresident students and scholars
  • Who must file a 2021 US tax return
  • What income forms students may receive
  • Forms that need to be completed and sent to the IRS
  • Terms like FICA, ITIN, and Form 1098-T
  • What happens if students don’t file or misfile
  • State tax returns
  • Sprintax overview
asia offers tax prep

Features

ISAC photo collage
H1B Workshop Recording Available
EA may abroad flyer
photo contest flyer
Cleveland Bucket List Flyer

Campus Happenings

prayer walk flyer
Timely Care image

University Health & Counseling Services Offers Timely Care and a Variety of Other Wellness Programs to Consider

Thursday, March 9
Start End   Event         Location
12:00pm 1:00pm T.H.I.N.K. Suicide Prevention Training (Virtual) Online Event
1:00pm 2:00pm BIPOC Support Space Online Event
Monday, March 13
6:00pm 7:30pm I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine. Private Location (sign in to display)
Thursday, March 16
Monday, March 20
3:00pm 4:00pm BIPOC Support Space Private Location (register to display)
6:00pm 7:30pm I'm Fine, It's Fine, Everything is Fine. Private Location (sign in to display)
Thursday, March 23

EVENT

GSAW Ball

Saturday, April 8
7:00pm - 11:00pm
Private Location (sign in to display)
Link
Add to Google Cal,Outlook,Yahoo,iCal

Graduate Student Appreciation Week grand finale

RSVP

Other Opportunities

international women of courage logo

International Women of Courage: Honoring the 2023 Awardees

CCWA is delighted to announce that it will celebrate International Women’s Day with a special Foreign Policy Forum featuring three of the 2023 recipients of the International Women of Courage Award on Tuesday, March 14, 5:30 p.m., at the Union Club. Students can join the event for free thanks to support from the Dr. and Mrs. Wael and Sawssan Khoury Students' Fund.

The International Women of Courage Award given by the U.S. Secretary of State recognizes extraordinary women from around the world who have demonstrated exceptional courage, strength, and leadership in advocating for peace, justice, human rights, gender equity, and the empowerment of women and girls, in all their diversity, often at great personal risk and sacrifice. Since the inception of the International Women of Courage Award in March 2007, the U.S. Department of State has recognized more than 170 women from over 80 countries.

On March 14, 2023, the Cleveland Council on World Affairs will welcome three of the 2023 honorees to share their stories and help us mark International Women’s Day by recognizing the incredible work that they are leading in their respective countries. For security reasons, the identities of the three honorees visiting Cleveland will only be announced on March 8; however, they include a prominent female government official advocating for judicial rights, a journalist dedicated to human rights for persons with disabilities, and a senior military official advocating for the inclusion of women in peacekeeping missions. Please note that the event will be in French with English interpretation.

Please contact Amy Moniot at amoniot@ccwa.org with any questions.

Good Vibes Only

In this section, we are including some things that we hope will make you laugh and smile, help you relax, be entertaining, give you something to do, etc.

This is a good vibes only section and we're sending them out to you!

Ed People dancing

Watch Ed People asks people to teach him their favorite dance moves. It's pretty awesome!

If you would like to promote your event or opportunity through ISSNews, please make a complete submission (including flyers, images, details, etc.) for consideration by noon on Monday to international@case.edu. ISS cannot guarantee that all submissions will appear in the newsletter, as space is limited, but staff will review all timely submissions fo