Date: September 12, 2023
Subject: GSC Newsletter

Dear Graduate Student,

You will be receiving this newsletter every week on Tuesday (except when there is a university holiday on that Tuesday). If you would like something to be included in our newsletter, please submit the request using the form at the bottom of this newsletter.

Visit the GSC website (gsc.case.edu) for meeting minutes and general information about GSC.
Follow us on Instagram: cwru_gsc

GSC 101

GSC 101 is Wednesday (tomorrow), September 13, 5:30-7pm. We will meet at HEC (Health Education Campus), room 176. Food will be provided (no pizza). School Representatives and Club Executive Leaders MUST ATTEND.

1. Each student organization and prospective student organization must send at least one executive member to be eligible for GSC funding this semester, preferably the treasurer/president. If no club member attends, the club will not receive GSC funds for the fall semester.

2. All GSC School Representatives must attend the GSC 101 meeting to be able to vote for their Schools. GSC Representatives are the liaison between the GSC and their school. They present the concerns and needs of the student body of their respective School to GSC. They have the power to vote on issues impacting the graduate and professional student body, such as the GSC budget and the RTA public transportation pass. Schools should email the names of their representatives to Kameron Ko (kjk159@case.edu) before September 13
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2194174

October GSC General Assembly (GA) meeting

Join the Graduate Student Council at our General Assembly meeting Wednesday (Oct. 4) to discuss what we've been up to! All graduate and professional students are welcome to attend. Free food will be provided.

Please RSVP either in person or virtually so we have enough food and drink for all students coming in person. The meetings occur every first Wednesday of the month and are from 5:30-6:30 pm in Toepfer Room, Adelbert Hall.
https://cglink.me/2cS/r2193950

Advocacy and Diversity Committee: Senate Committee Interest

The Co-Vice Presidents of GSC’s Advocacy and Diversity are seeking graduate students interested in participating in one or more faculty senate committees. By being part of a senate committee, you will have the opportunity to meet faculty members from different Schools at CWRU and work on projects/initiatives that will have an impact on the greater CWRU community.

Here are the following senate committees with positions open for graduate students:

Research (Open Positions: 3)
Information and Technology (Open Positions: 1)
University Libraries (Open Positions: 1)
Campus Planning and Facilities (Open Positions: 1)
Minority Affairs (Open Positions: 1)
Ad Hoc Media Protection Policy (Open Positions: 1)

If interested in being part of one or more of the committees, please use the following Google Form to indicate what committee(s) you would like to be a part of and why: https://forms.gle/J8EMwMNq5o4MbdweA

The Google Form will be open as long as the positions are open.

If you have any questions, please contact Thomas Lipker at TJL111@case.edu

Trick or Treat on Fleet

The event is going to be happening on Fleet Street in the Slavic Village on October 28th or 29th. It is a community-wide trick-or-treat event sponsored by the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center. Vendors are able to set up tables for free as long as they provide candy for the children trick-or-treating. 

Recently, the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences visited the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center and Slavic Village to learn more about creating change at a community level. At this visit, they learned about events that are being put on for members of the community.   On October 28th or 29th, the Southeast Cleveland Resource Center will be hosting an event called Trick or Treat on Fleet. This event allows vendors to set up a tent at no cost, as long as they have candy to give out to the kids trick-or-treating. This is an event that has happened in the Slavic Village as a part of their efforts to revitalize the community and engage with neighbors. Mandel students were invited to host a table and were encouraged to reach out to other organizations who might have an interest in helping with this event.   The Southeast Cleveland Resource Center is located at 52111 Fleet Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44105. Fleet Street will be shut down during this event, at which over 2000 community members are expected. If you are interested in participating or have any questions, you can contact Housing Director Meeka Compton at tcompton1120@gmail.com, t.compton@scresourcecenter.org, or 216-266-0278.

Meet the GSC Executive Board

Each week, we will introduce two to four GSC Executive Board members. Today we are presenting the Vice Presidents of Student Organizations because they will be running the GSC 101 event tomorrow. For information about all GSC Executive Board members, please visit our website.

Tyler Tipton
Co-Director of Student Organizations
School of Law
Juris Doctor

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?

I joined the GSC Executive Board because I wanted to be a voice for the graduate students here at Case. When the opening for the Director of Student Organizations opened I felt like this was the perfect way for me to be a voice for the graduate students. Student organizations are an important part of the graduate experience and I want to do everything within my power to help organizlations grow and create places of belonging and happiness on campus. 

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?

It is my goal to make sure the graduate student organizations have a voice at this university and that they receive support for events and outreach this year. I am excited to make the recognition process for organizations more streamlined in the hope that more organizations are able to be created to foster a greater sense of community on campus.  

What are you looking forward to this academic year?    

I am looking forward to gaining hands on experiences in the legal field this year. I love being able to do experiential work and interact with people on a daily basis. It will be nice to be out and about more instead of being cooped up in my room all the time!

Xavier Pei (they, them)
Co-Director of Student Organizations
School of Law
Juris Doctor

Why did you join the GSC Executive Board?

During our 1L year, Thomas Lipker brought me to a GA meeting, and I was impressed by the scope of GSC and its impact. I joined the GSC Executive Board because I wanted to help organizations from different schools cooperate with each other.

What do you hope to accomplish in your role at GSC? Are there any specific projects or changes you're excited to work on?

As a co-director of student organizations, I hope to aid organizations in requesting funding by making the processes accessible and clear.

What are you looking forward to this academic year?

I’m looking forward to meeting with other graduate students outside of the law school and learning about their school experience.

EVENT

GSC 101

Wednesday, September 13, 2023
5:30pm - 7:00pm
Private Location (sign in to display)
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

GSC 101 is Wednesday, September 13, 5:30-7pm, HEC (Health Education Campus), room 176. Each student organization (and prospective student organization) must send at least one executive member representative to be eligible for GSC funding this semester, preferably the treasurer. In addition, all GSC School Representatives must attend the GSC 101 meeting to be able to vote for their Schools.
So please mark your calendars and register here!

REGISTER

EVENT

October GA

Wednesday, October 4, 2023
5:30pm - 6:30pm
Toepfer Room-Adelbert Hall, Tinkham Veale University Center 11038 Bellflower Road, Room 150 , Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

Join the Graduate Student Council at our General Assembly meeting to discuss what we've been up to! All graduate students are welcome to attend. Free food will be provided.
Please RSVP either in person or virtually so we have enough food and drink for all students coming in person.

REGISTER

FORM

GSC Newsletter Request Form 2023-2024

Complete the Form