Date: October 1, 2019
Subject: Mandel School Staff Plan-it: October 1, 2019

In this issue:

NIH Notice: Link ORCID iD to eRA Commons Profile

The NIH Office of Extramural Research encourages everybody from graduate students to senior scientists to register for an ORCID account and link it to their eRA Commons personal profile. Starting October 1, 2019, ORCID identifiers will be required for individuals supported by institutional research training, career development, and other research education awards. xTrain appointments will not be accepted for agency review if potential appointees do not have an ORCID iD linked to their eRA personal profile. ORCID iDs will also be required for PD/PIs on individual fellowship and career development applications submitted for due dates on or after January 25, 2020.
For more details, see the full Guide Notice or the recent Open Mike blog on this topic.

New and Updated Policies on Webpage

Please be aware the following policies have been updated or added to the Faculty & Staff Resource Page:

1. Supply & Equipment

2. Alcohol

3. Travel

4. Gift Card Purchases
  5. Hospitality

Please become familiar with all of these policies.  It is everyone's responsibility to follow them.  Please be aware that our ability to reimburse employees for certain items may be limited if these policies are not followed.  Please contact Finance & Administration staff with any questions.

Free Webinar:  5 Strategies to Actually Enjoy the Holidays This Year

Offered through CWRU's employee assistance program via IMPACT solutions:  The holidays are depicted as a time of blissful good cheer and family connections.  Why do so many of us feel busy, pressured, or lonely each year instead?  This webinar will share five tips to actually enjoy the holidays this year and guide you in applying them to your personal holiday situation.  This webinar is available on demand during October, 2019.  To access:
  1. Navigate to www.myimpactsolution.com.

2. Click on "go to member login" box and log in with company code "CWRU."

3. Click on the blue "webinar" box.

4. Choose October webinar (either green button).

Get to Know... April Hirsh Urban

Three Questions with April Hirsh Urban.

Photo of April Urban1.  What does a typical day at work look like for you?  I feel like I don't have a typical day.  My days consist of working on datasets, writing reports, or going out in the community to see what their data needs and residential projects are.

2.  Where is your favorite spot on or near campus to work, ready or study?  Luna Bakery in Cleveland Heights!

3.  What is one of your favorite hobbies, or what hobby would your pursue if you had more time?  My hobby is also another paid "job" that I really enjoy!  I teach tap dance to kids and adults in Shaker Square at Cleveland City Dance.  I am working on my Copasetics Canon certification from the American Tap Dance Foundation and got to spend a week this summer with some of the best tappers in the country!

"Get to Know..." content provided by the Mandel Staff Working Group.
Email msass-staffworkinggroup@case.edu to learn more about the Working Group.

Upcoming Events/Deadlines

October 9, 2019:  First Aid, CPR, AED Training.  RSVP/Register here by 10/3/19.
October 30, 2019:  Faculty & Staff Happy Hour, Dave's Cosmic Subs, 4:30 - 6 p.m.
November 18, 2019:  Fall Let's Lunch, 12:45 p.m., Noble Commons

Important Links

Staff Feedback & Suggestion Form: Submit feedback & suggestions related to the Mandel School.   Resources for Faculty & Staff: Access School policies & information (human resources, finance, IT, research).
Mandel School Directory   Access HCM: Enter & approve time monthly.
Staff Plan-it Archive: Access past Plan-it newsletters.    

Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel
School of Applied Social Sciences
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH  44106-7164
Staff Plan-it
News + Info in a Single Bound