Date: September 28, 2023
Subject: So much this week in the [OMA Newsletter]

Hi First_Name,

OMA Newsletter

If You Are NOT Programming in Eldred...

You're really missing out.

Here's photos from just 2 recent events, Case Hinduism's Ganesh Chaturthi on Sept 20 and World College Network's World College Day on September 23. 

Mon.- Fri. 8am - 10pm
Sat. 2pm - 8pm 
Sun. CLOSED*

Contact the Staff in Student Centers about reserving space

OMA information

A Tale of 2 Argentines Who Came into OMA this Week

Senior Franco Kraiselburd heard about CWRU from Hector Martinez, a friend of his dad, who was an alum and had actually taught here.  He didn’t think much of traveling from Argentina, and has appreciated his CWRU experience. Roll forward 3 years, and he is contacted by Michael Goldberg, Exec Director of the Veale Institute for Entrepreneurship where Franco was a Veale Snyder fellow last year. Michael said he had an Argentine that Franco needed to meet.

First year student Manu Pereyra received a waiver for the application fee to CWRU in his email. After researching the school, he concluded it would be a great fit, and traveled with his parents 10 hours by flight to NYC, and then drove 7 hours to Cleveland. His first week on campus, he’s checking out Study Abroad opportunities in the Tink, and a staff member asks about his accent and where he was from. Soon Michael Goldberg is connecting Manu through WhatsApp to an upperclass Argentine he knows.

What makes this more unusual is that Franco and Manu both live in the southern suburbs of Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina – but needed to travel a few thousand miles/kilometers to Cleveland to meet! 

Franco has been showing Manu CLE and CWRU, and brought him to OMA this past week. When I asked them, this was their list of what we should all know about Argentina & Argentines.
1 – We won the 2022 World Cup!
2 – We drink a lot of Mate (a traditional S. American caffeine-rich infused herbal drink where you use a metal straw as a filter)
3 – We are physically affectionate, kissing our friends’ mothers on the cheek.
4 – We are very loud – we have to shut up coming here.
5 – Confidence is cultural – we are courageous.
6 – We have an Italian way of talking. (There is a significant Italian influence on country’s politics, food, language…) We both actually have Italian citizenship. Ask Franco about his connection to an exiled member of the royal court of Italy!)
7 – Buenos Aires is the Paris of South America – strong European influence. (Unrestricted European immigration started in mid-19th century)
8 - Avenida 9 de Julio is the widest avenue in the world. (Just under 2 miles long, up to 7 lanes in each direction flanked by parallel streets of 2 lanes each). 

Congratulations Randy Blackford on 15 Years @ CWRU

Congratulations on 15 years!
This is the third university at which I’ve worked, but it’s now longer than my tenure at the previous two combined. As I reflect on these past years, I realize that I’m in a very different part of my career than most who will read this. I’m not interested in climbing rungs of the ladder to work my way up to a fancier title, more money, or prestige. I truly count myself blessed to be able to serve students and fellow staff in OMA these past years. The students and the staff that I’ve worked with have had such an impact on my life – I’ve learned so much from so many of them. I confess that being here this long you see a lot of faces change. I really miss so many students that have graduated, and staff that have moved on from positions here. I really enjoy opportunities to connect with alum through social media or when they are visiting CLE.

What about your involvement on campus? What are a couple of things that stand out?
I bought a 35mm DSLR early on and have used photography as a way to connect with students, student organizations, and also fellow staff through head-shots.

Another of the highlights is being the lead staff person with Diversity 360. I've been able to partner with over 100 co-facilitators we’ve recruited through the years from its inception back in 2015 through the changes we hope to make on the curriculum this year. 

Anything else you'd like to share?
A couple of years ago I won a Division of Student Affairs award for art installations I put up in OMA for Black History month and Women’s History month. While I appreciated the recognition, to me the award was more symbolic that I’m not coasting, I’m continually pushing forward, learning, doing my job better – freshly committed to OMA and our students.

I'm very thankful for Janée Kelly's leadership & supervision that helps me be my best. I confided in a few colleagues that I’ve worked the hardest in my career this past year with Janée and Jasmine. I look forward to our team continuing to serve students in even better ways this year.

Other Events
CCEL Service Fair
Choices Fair
Things to do in Cleveland
Climate Action Week
Climate Action Essay Contest
Humans vs. Zombies
Resources
CWRU Food Insecurity Resources