Date: November 3, 2022
Subject: GCAS November Newsletter

URGENT - RTA PASS/FEES SURVEY

There's been a lot of discussion/debate over the RTA fees, so we want to hear from you. Please take this brief 3-minute survey to give us some feedback so we can better advocate for you! 

Fun Things to Do in Cleveland in November!

We've made it to the halfway point of the semester. The leaves are changing, the weather has been (oddly) lovely, and democracy is on a knife's edge. As we get ready to stuff ourselves with stuffing, treat yourself to a bit of joy - and democracy!

Any free hour you have: Take a hike! Listen, it's been crazy nice outside, and while living in Cleveland can feel like a frozen hellscape for a lot of the year, this is the perfect time to enjoy some nature bathing. Our Metro Parks offer an incredible array of trails for biking and hiking, or you can just take a stroll through any nearby neighborhood. Go outside. Take a few deep breaths, take off your headphones, look at nature instead of a screen. 

Tuesday, November 8th: VOTE. For the love of whatever god(dess) you believe in, VOTE. Get off your a$$, get to the polls, send in your absentee ballot, drop it at a drop box, early vote, whatever. Just vote. Vote like your future, your bodily autonomy, the planet, and democracy depend on it. VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE.

Nov 7th - Nov 13th:  Cleveland Pizza Week! Hit up your favorite pizza spot for an $8 pizza. There are nearly 3 dozen participating restaurants, so click on the link to find out if your favorite is on there, or plan a day to eat your way across town! 

Building a GCAS Community

This year, the Graduate Council for Arts & Sciences aims to build a stronger community across disciplines. It's not a secret to say that the last few years have been, well, a dumpster-fire. As we emerge from hiding and play our favorite seasonal game of "Is it allergies or is it Covid?," maybe we can also forge new connections and collaborations, and find ways to support each other.

First, please create a GCAS account on CampusGroups! It's the most effective way for us to reach you and for you to keep up with what's happening. Next,  if your department has a great colloquia speaker coming, let us know! Tell us about your upcoming art show or theater production! Defending your dissertation and want some friendly faces in the crowd? We'll be there! We spend a lot of time in our own bubbles - let's branch out and support each other. Email Michelle Gotto and your upcoming event will be in the next newsletter or special email! 

Send a Student Rep to the GCAS Board Meeting!

GCAS will hold it's next Executive Board Meeting Thursday, November 10th, from 5pm-7pm in Rockefeller Hall, Room 303. (Engineering Quad)

We hope to have one student representative from each CAS department in attendance for these meetings--the goal is for that rep to report concerns to us, and to then report back to your fellow students/graduate group any updates from us!

We will be reaching out to the student reps in the coming days!

Meet Your GCAS Executive Team!

We think it's important for you to get to know who we are! So, over the next few months, we'll be telling you a little about ourselves. This month, meet our Vice President and Treasurer! 

Hi there! I’m Mercy Amankwah, the current Vice President of GCAS.  I was born and raised in Ghana, a very beautiful country on the Western Coast of Africa.  I got my undergraduate and Masters’ degrees in Mathematics and Scientific Computing and Industrial Modeling, respectively, from Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in my home country. I’m currently in my 4th year here at CWRU in the Applied Mathematics Ph. D. track. My research at school focused on using Math and biomedical engineering to help the mobile elderly and people with arthritis explore other ways of walking or moving. I also enjoy doing research in Quantum Computing.

My favorite place in the US is Bozeman Montana where I lived for a year.  I enjoy traveling; I’ll take any opportunity to see a new place. Glacier National park is a must-see if you haven’t. I also like trying new sports. I’ve taken a liking to tennis and Racquetball lately, so if you want to play with an amateur, hit me up to try out different courts in Cleveland.

Aside from sports and travel, I’m passionate about professional development.  My goal for GCAS this year is to shed more light on the value of building your career from grad school and the need to forge the right connections that will speak for you at the time of your job search. I’m looking forward to providing a plethora of avenues for networking and building such connections during the professional development week so keep an eye out for it. Cheers!

Namaste! I am Aneesha, your Treasurer for this year. I earned my Bachelors's and Masters's in Physics from India from the University of Delhi and IIT Guwahati. I am currently a third-year Ph.D. student working in astroparticle physics. My research involves using giant underground gas-filled chambers to look for hints of dark matter particles. This is my second year as the treasurer of GCAS, and I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities that this role brings with it. I am passionate about advocating for students and contributing to developing a sense of community within our CAS community. I hope to see more students learn about what we do and engage in the events we organize for their benefit. Some of my duties involve creating a budget, maintaining financial records, and ensuring that the funds are used judiciously. When not working, I usually recharge my social battery by reading a book or walking in nature. My hobbies are learning new skills, solving puzzles, and watching sitcoms for a good laugh. 

A Green New Deal for CWRU

Did you know that a Green New Deal has been proposed for CWRU? Members of Students for Sustainability and Sunshine CWRU have a campaign and proposed action steps for the administration. You can learn all the details on their website, and learn how to get involved! 

Health Check-in

GCAS wants to hear from you and how you're doing. We've created a four question survey to try to assess how you are coping during the first couple months back on campus. This is completely anonymous and meant to give the College of Arts and Science a rough idea on how you're handling things. Click here to take the survey.

Curious about what to do in and around Cleveland?

Two great resources we recommend is This is Cleveland and International Student Services (ISS) Bucket List. This is Cleveland gives a list of all the events happening in and around Cleveland. So if you're looking for a concert to go to or a touring art exhibit they will have all the details. ISS Bucket List gives a list of some things to do and places to visit before you graduate.
The University has launched CWRU Care, a 24/7 service to connect quickly online with counselors regarding specific issues free of charge. Additional therapy sessions and support spaces are also available to all students

Office for Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity

The mission of the Office for Inclusion, Diversity, and Equal Opportunity is to provide support and guidance and to promote equitable and fair treatment in employment, education, and other aspects of campus life. The office serves as a resource to the university in the interpretation, understanding, and application of federal and state equal opportunity and affirmative action laws and regulations. 

OMA

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) works to develop an inclusive CWRU community, one that supports all students, respects and celebrates their identities, and facilitates their success.

Quote of the Month

"Never half-ass two things. Whole ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

Trivia Question

Congrats to Katie Moore from Psychological Sciences, who correctly answered that former President James A. Garfield is buried in Lake View Cemetery, just up the hill from campus! We had lots of respondents last month, so let's keep that energy going! 

November Question: Let's test your Thanksgiving knowledge! What was the first giant balloon to appear in the famed Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

The first person to send the correct answer to us at gcas@case.edu will receive a $10 Amazon gift card. The winner (and the answer) will be announced in the December newsletter, along with next month's question. Good luck! 

Our team represents the needs and concerns of the Arts & Sciences graduate students to both the Graduate Student Council and the A&S administration. We host professional development events, publicize news you would like shared beyond your department, and provide a forum for discussion on ways to improve graduate student life.

G C A S
Exec Board

Co-Presidents:

Ray Garner

crg56@case.edu

Cameron Griffith

cxg419@case.edu

Vice-President:

Mercy Amankwah

mga26@case.edu

Secretary:

Emerson Page

sep111@case.edu

Information Officer:

Michelle Gotto

mxg467@case.edu

Treasurer:

Aneesha Avasthi

axa1253@case.edu

GSC Representative:

Kyle LaFollette

kjl113@case.edu

DEI Officer:

Doroteja Rubez

dxr327@case.edu

EVENT

GCAS Executive Board Meeting

Thursday, November 10, 2022
5:00pm - 7:00pm
Private Location (sign in to display)
Add to Google Cal, Outlook, Yahoo, iCal

This is the monthly meeting for GCAS Officers and Departmental Representatives. Anyone else is welcome to join as well.

VIEW EVENT